When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3717

Guest vantica

Guest vantica

I just haphazardly picked up a GEN 3717 Dial + Hour and Min Hand of ov the Bay and by looking twice I some what question if they are GEN:

0049.jpg

0050.jpg

If soo, how do I go about making a Franken 3717?

My biggest concern is, how to change the chrono pins (which hold the chrono hands silver) as 99% of the 3717 GENS I have seen have Silver chrono hands.

Thank You

Unfortunately, your dial is not gen. There are 2 immediate tells;

1) the triangle marker at 12 on the gen is larger and the upper vertex extends past the line across the 2 dots next to it. All the reps have a realtively smaller triangle that lines up with the 2 dots at the top. The gen marker appears much closer to the dots because of the larger triangle. i.e. the space between the marker and the dots is noticeably less than the distance between the dots and the marks outside them.

2) at the bottom, "SWISS" in "SWISS MADE" on the gen is centered below the 2 marks above it. The gen also uses smaller font than the reps, so the letters in "SWISS" have more space between them.

Yup. Thanks for the picture, tomhorn. It makes my explanation a bit clearer.

If you were to draw a circle around the outside of all the minute markers, right on the outside edge of them, the triangle marker at 12 would touch this line. On the rep, it is unfortunately made smaller so it lines up with the 2 dots instead, which are correctly placed inside this circle. All rep versions have this triangle marker wrong. Simply shifting it up wouldn't work, as the base of it is in the correct location. It's just too small.

Notice at the bottom, the letters in "SWISS" appear to have some breathing room between them.

With a few gen dials recently changing hands on here (including one into my hands), I hope it wasn't someone from here who sold their old one as gen on the 'bay.

My biggest concern is, how to change the chrono pins (which hold the chrono hands silver) as 99% of the 3717 GENS I have seen have Silver chrono hands.

Thank You

100% of the gen 3717 have silver chrono-pins. It's hard to tell on this pic but the looks fake. A closer shot and from different angels would help to tell exactly.

sorry for the bad news, what did you pay for the set?

I'm thinking it's a fake too .... hopefully I'm wrong though.

Here's a picture of the gen ... from the IWC site.

3717_001_l.jpg

It also looks to me like perhaps the hour numbers are too thick also, but it could just be the angle of the picture.

please be careful with the thickness of the hour-numbers. only on this pic the 3717-01 has slim numbers, the gen watch has more bold numbers. the top gun has more slim ones.

Hmmm my rep dail has a centered SWISS just like the gen but i agree about the triangle

I believe V2 and V3 are centered (with V1 being the one the OP got from the 'bay), but both have an overly large font, giving the letters a crowded look, as the rep squeezes the word into the same horizontal space as the gen. The gen letters are shorter and more spaced. A side-by-side comparison to a gen will allow you to spot it instantly.

please be careful with the thickness of the hour-numbers. only on this pic the 3717-01 has slim numbers, the gen watch has more bold numbers. the top gun has more slim ones.

This pic came directly from IWC's website. Are you saying they are posting bad pics of their own watches?

Edited by tomhorn

This pic came directly from IWC's website. Are you saying they are posting bad pics of their own watches?

I know this and this topic has been already discussed on the boards. fact is that the gen watch does not have that slim numbers.

here are examples of the gen watch:

3717_01.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

Edited by Merlin

Now I really want to say genuine after having a better look at the subdials... But something about those 12,3,6,9 markers just looks odd... like they've been removed and reinstalled or something. I don't know. It might be gen but it isn't what I'd call mint condition. The edges sure are rough too.

Tough call.

PS - The SWISS MADE on my V1 are centered under their markers, but this dial has them right justified. Not sure if some gens had it this way or not... But the subdials are the biggest tell I've seen on 3717s, and these subdials look better than any rep I've seen.

the only thing that looks good to me is the surface. it's not this glossy than the most rep-dials. but the markers look crappy and the triangle at 12 looks too small. the hour-hand and the dial-edges are in an awful condition. I wouldn't go for it.