When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little Doxa love

Nanuq

Some eyecandy of my new Sharkhunter. This is the very first edition Sub 300, with the domed plexi crystal. Notice the inner bezel ring is either red or orange on this first edition, with a black outer ring. Later editions have that reversed. Enjoy! :tu:

Sitting on Byron Glacier

sharkie_glacier.jpg

Comfortably back at the cabin

sharkie_deck.jpg

Chilling in the cabin - sorry for the blurry photo!

sharkie_cabin.jpg

Do you have a picture of what you're describing? Sounds intriguing!

I tried it on one of my Beads of Rice Doxa bracelets and it really looks better on a black strap.

Yeah baby! :tu:

@Kelster, I was intrigued by the whole Doxa mystique but really, sort of turned off by the flat crystals. I mean, ewwwwww.

But then over on the Doxa forum, before I got banned :boxing: someone posted a photo of a Doxa with ... *gasp* ... a domed plexi crystal. And I was hooked.

These things are flippin' gorgeous, and the "boat case" design really grows on you. It's a really great alternative to the standard case shape used by Rolex and everyone else. Plus the profile of the Sub 300 (the one with the plexi crystal) is nice and low to the wrist.

And, I know I've said this before, there are scads of rare Doxa models. It seems like everything is limited production and hence rarity goes out the wazzoo with every passing year. Example: for my Black Lung, there are maybe 5 in the world. How much would a Rolex be worth if it was that scarce? Or the parts for that Rolex?

(Pulling out my crystal ball) with the dramatic increase in pricing for vintage Rolex over the last decade or two, people will have to opt for less expensive brands with the same "scarceness" and "funkiness" quality, that not everyone else is wearing. It has to be recognizable in an obscure way, but still scarce. And it has to be tool watches. People want that "look at me" factor that means they're wearing something you recognize, and that you don't have.

Who else with these criteria is out there besides Doxa? Jenny? Nah, too obscure. Same with Squale. I'm open for suggestions, and in the meantime I'm collecting baby! :tu:

Hahahahaha, I was just about to ask if that was the 'Lung' we helped you find on flebay, Southcoast and I that is. When who do I hear lurking at the bottom of the page, like a bad rubber shark in a Jaws movie, but Chicken Manny?!?

2Come in Mr Manny, we have been expecting you!! *strokes white persian cat*

Yeah it's my fricken iPhone... the thing just takes lousy pictures up close.

Thanks, I'm growing fonder of that Sharkhunter every day. She has an appointment at the Ziggy Spa in April to get a crownectomy ... I'm hoping the crown/tube from a donor dive watch will fit right on there and make that beauty waterproof again! :tu:

There's lots of them over on Fleabay, and some good deals show up almost every month, usually for a Sub 300T Pro, that's the orange dial and the flat crystal.

It's really hard to find the Sub 300 with the domed plexi crystal, so when one comes up you gotta move fast. I can thank the eagle eyes members here for this Sharkie, they're the ones that alerted me to it! :tu:

I am glad this landed at its new home safe and sound, wear it well. If I were in better financial shape for watches, it would have been mine (it was in my own home state of Florida after all) B). But I am still glad it went to a fellow RWG member, one who can truly appreciate it.

Enjoy :D