When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD v.3 Pearl and Bezel Paint - Which?

bkwbkw

hey all

Received a beautiful dssd v.3 from josh yesterday and I'd like to do two simple mods.

The first is to fix/replace the pearl as it hangs a bit to the right :p. I was thinking about picking up a WM dot, but the pearls do not look similiar at all. The DSSD pearl sits up and you can clearly see the curvature of the pearl. The dot from WM looks more like the SSD pearl which is more recessed.

Where can I find a replacement pearl or inlay for the DSSD? If there arent any, I'll try to fix it, but unsure how to go about it. How do I get the pearl out? Once out, I guess I can use a file or blade to cut the insert a tad then try to epoxy the pearl back into place. How is it mounted? and what is the best way to get the pearl out w/o damaging the insert?

The second thing I want to do is to paint the numbers and markers as they look a bit thin to me. What brand/color paint have people been using to achieve this? It's almost a titanium color.. I did find a thread over on rg, but the paint he used is not available here in the states.

Thanks!!

I'm looking for a gen pearl for mine, I sent Tribal a pm wondering if he had any information that might help but that's as far as I've gotten. You brought up something regarding the bezel that got me thinking. On mine, the numbers are thin also, but that's the way they're supposed to be and I'm quite please that they're not fat. You did give me an idea when you mentioned painting them, and now I'm considering having the bezel super lumed!

Lika Dis...

lume-mod.jpg

Since this topic has strayed from pearl and paint to lume, I've decided to post my lume comparo shot.

Starting from left to right is my gen speedmaster, gen seamaster GMT, and the DSSD v.3 all under a blacklight. The DSSD didnt shine nearly as bright as I hoped it would.. also, my speedie is over 10 years old and it still shines brightly. But check out the GMT, wow!

3377198489_29ccab80b7.jpg