When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 24, 25, 87

Guest vantica

Well, they are all reasonable candidates, provided you get the right case.

If your 024 Dial is a T-Dial, then you will need an early series rep case in order to get the non graduated marked bezel. At a minimum, you will need to polish the bezel. If you have an L dial then the cases are more available. The minute marked bezels started with the "D" series.

Haven't seen a rep of this for a long time so your options would be to find one or find an 024 case and brush it, unless you can find an old school Ti case.

There was a reasonable rep of this one but not sure if it is still available. If you can find the case you are in luck.

With all of them you will need a new crown and datewheel. At a minimum you need a T-48 crown. Lello date wheels were the best but he retired so you might have to try sourcing a wheel from DSN to be more accurate. Casebacks are a tough one, depending on the series you are after. A, B or later...

For a crystal, the best is the Ultimate 199 crsystal for the Submersibles. This requires you yo buy the watch just to use the crystal since no dealers will sell a crystal alone for these.

Guest vantica

Got all three, as I could not decide on which one to make. Now the hunt begins to put the dials into the right cases.

0043.jpg

0045.jpg

0047.jpg

I am going to keep this post active with updates and questions..... Please keep checking.

I wondered who bought them all. ;) I thought about them all as well and here is what I concluded -

PAM 87 - Horrible crown on rep. Even if you can shorten the actual stem of the crown the CG lever is then too short. Bezel is mediocre. Also difficult to get a gen crystal (ultimate 199 crystal doesn't fit) and date font is not great

PAM 25 - No ti sub rep currently made. Are you really going to put a gen dial in a SS case

PAM24 - You still can buy sub without hashmarks on bezel (will need to be polished though). I can't remember whether it comes with the ultimate crystal but if it doesn't ask dealer for a spare crystal. I also seem to remember that there may have been an Ultimate version coming (or it already has) which would theoretically have better date font and magnification. All of Dluddy's mods are exactly right.

I have turned down multiple offers on all these dials except the 24A. IMHO, that is the only one to build. And want to know how I know:

IMGP1830.jpg

I've tried most of them. :bangin:

Here is 24A with rep dial versus another gen sub. This one has the rep dial so yours can be better. In fact mine has gone to a friend who had a gen dial for exactly that reason.

IMGP1784.jpg

Got all three, as I could not decide on which one to make. Now the hunt begins to put the dials into the right cases.

0043.jpg

0045.jpg

0047.jpg

I am going to keep this post active with updates and questions..... Please keep checking.

Wow! You come in here carrying the biggest stick Ive ever seen! Bravo!

The easiest way to handle this, IMO, is to mate the 24 dial with a new 199 Ultimate. The 199 Ultimate has a decent Date Font/Mag... It wouldn't be a 24a unless you replaced the bezel... But a very good 24... Possibly the 25 could be used with the 199 ultimate, too...

My 2 cents.

RSM

Guest vantica

I think I am going to get the Updated 199 to make the 25. Though I cannot nail how I am going to make the steel case look like titanium? Brush it? then get a light PVD/Ceramic coated?

Someone has come forward with old 24a, for me to buy. Though what would be a good price?

Definitely the better way to go IMO....

Figure it is an A7750 rep and if it has no mods, should go for the same price as a current model - discounted for wear and tear of course ;)

Is spending more than a grand on a un-moded old 24, sound, right?

NEGATIVE!! They should sell for 250-300 max unmodded. I purchased my 024a used a while back and paid about that.

If someone is selling a unmodded 24a for 1k, he should get a beating..... :bangin:

NEGATIVE!! They should sell for 250-300 max unmodded. I purchased my 024a used a while back and paid about that.

If someone is selling a unmodded 24a for 1k, he should get a beating..... :bangin:

If truly unmodded (and frankly without your dial) that is a fairly outrageous price. So the one you are being offered does not have a polished bezel, proper date font or magnification. If this is the case than it is ridiculous. I don't think you will get it as cheap as CC did but it certainly shouldn't be more than $400-450 including a rarity premium.

And on the 25, I don't think I would put a gen dial in a case which is entirely the wrong material.

Guest vantica

Well when I clarified, He said there are some mods to give it the vintage look and there is some thing wrong with the date:

Here are some pics he sent me:

lhuohgiu.jpg

iuiuhi.jpg