When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stem too long on a 6497 movt: Risky?

ewing

When I installed a T48 crown on my 177 recently, I cut the stem a little too short.

Result: skipping when winding but no problem setting the time.

Now waiting for a new stem.

What could go wrong if I we're to cut it on the long side this time?

Thanks!

Yes thats one of the joys of fitting a T Crown, it will be worth it when you get it right.

Take it very slowly, just a mm at a time. If it is too long the gap between the Crown and the case will be too visible and you wont be able to close the Crown Guard lever and if it is too long you could snap the stem. You may need to Trim , Fit it and test it a number of time including fitting the CG, which might take a while. Hope you ordered more than 1

good luck

ST4

Thanks for the input...

I have a feeling it doesn't need to be much longer that the first one I fitted.

When I put pressure on the crown with my fingers when winding there is no problem...

probably a mm or so...

Yes thats one of he joys of fitting a T Crown, it will be worth it when you get it right.

Take it very slowly, just a mm at a time. If it is too long the gap between the Crown and the case will be too visible and you wont be able to close the Crown Guard lever and if it is too long you could snap the stem. You may need to Trim , Fit it and test it a number of time including fitting the CG, which might take a while. Hope you ordered more than 1

good luck

ST4

• 1 month later...

Well, got my new stem today and problem still persists...

Clicketing sound when I wind the darn thing!

What is wrong here?

Help!

:-(

Thanks for the input...

I have a feeling it doesn't need to be much longer that the first one I fitted.

When I put pressure on the crown with my fingers when winding there is no problem...

probably a mm or so...

Make sure that all of the bridge screws are tight. Just the other day, my Pam005 had the same problem, did some research and found this thread;

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Winding-problem-...hl=6497+winding

See picture in second post, tighten the screw shown. It worked for my Pam005, in fact a few bridge screws were loose, I snugged them all up and all is good. I'd try this first as it is a quick fix that doesnt cost anything but a few minutes, good luck

Cheers B)

Make sure that all of the bridge screws are tight. Just the other day, my Pam005 had the same problem, did some research and found this thread;

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Winding-problem-...hl=6497+winding

See picture in second post, tighten the screw shown. It worked for my Pam005, in fact a few bridge screws were loose, I snugged them all up and all is good. I'd try this first as it is a quick fix that doesnt cost anything but a few minutes, good luck

Cheers B)

Hey, that is my post!

It turned out to be a temporary fix for me, as the problem is still there :-(

Oh snap, I did not even catch the name of the poster on that thread, :sorry::tomaatit: . Also sorry to hear that the problem still exists, your idea of tightening the bridge screws worked fine for me (so far), so I should be thanking you :) . I am not really worried about mine since I got it for $80 and use it for a beater a lot of times. I hope you can find the cause of this on yours inexpensively.

All the best...