When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 Phase 1.2

freddy333

I like the pepsi tones better on the newer insert but the numbers are too fresh looking IMO.

Just a thought but do you think it might be possible to polish down the insert on a buffing wheel to take some of the height off or is that too risky?

I have actually been pondering the idea of sandpapering/polishing the face of the insert to remove some of the 'new car shine' & to leave it with a slightly wavy surface to give it a more aged appearance. But a test on a couple of scrap pieces proved less than satisfactory, so I had planned to do more testing over the weekend. However, I took the watch out to dinner this evening & showed it to a gen collector friend, who was surprised when I told him the watch was a franken. Very surprised. In fact, it was only after I told him that I was unsure about the insert that he even noticed the placement & size of the dots. And, even then, he was only ambivalent about the insert's appearance (he thought it might have been a service replacement from the 2nd run (after Rolex had deemed the inserts free of radioactivity)). So, now I may just leave it as-is.

I see you have the new dial mounted as well, very nice! It looks great and seems to fit perfectly, is this a MY redial or stock aftermarket? I thought the aftermarket dials were all too small for the Silix cases.

Originally, I sent MY an ETA 2836 dial blank, thinking it would fit the case since that was the movement the Silix came with. But, unfortunately, I did not realize that the position of the date window for the 2846, which currently powers the watch, is in a slightly different position than the 2836. So I had MY strip & re-paint the Silix's original 'Cartier' Sub dial since I knew it fit both the case & movement perfectly. That is the dial you now see in the watch.

May I say the mod will be easier from a 1030 date to 1036 GMT? What will the conversion parts needed if going in this route?

Due to a number of circumstances, I ultimately moved the 1030 over to my 6536 Sub project (which will be complete as soon as Silix delivers the cases I ordered over 2 months ago :bangin::angry: The parts list was posted by auto somewhere in that thread or 1 of the related 6542 threads.

Really wonder if the 1575 can fit into the 6542 case. Does it share the same dimension to that of the 1030? This will be the easier way to go considering getting a 1036/1066 GMT is virtually impossible.

BTW, freddy, your 6542 dial is not gen.? It looks so close to the real though, you get it from Silix?