When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep vs Rep

mbjoer

Have seen a few extremely well written comparisons between top reps and gens.

And as a direct result bought an Ebel 1911.

But in general my budget rather forces me to compare noobRep vs King-of-Rep - which in turn could be compared to the Gen as a reference point.

I think this sort of comparison could be of great general interest. Certainly it is good to know at what level one should aim when splashing out on yet another not-quite-needed-but-nice-to-have watch.

Lots of watches - in particular Rolex - are available in several versions.

Currently I am interested in the Proche Flat6. Gets really good comments and is advertised on timesshop.net for either $108 or $325.

What are the differences? What do I get for the extra money? Side by side pictures?

Let's hear!

I think this sounds like a project for your first major post.

Download pics of the 2...the cheaper one..the more expensive one...and the gen...and do a comparison...write it up, and let us know what YOU think!!

From my 2 min scan...the big difference is the cheap ones are quartz with different function of the subdials than the more expensive ones based on an A7750 mechanical movement. The more expensive ones have a rotating disc for the running seconds at 9...while the other appears to have possibly a running seconds centre hand...and stop watch second at 6, 60 minute totalizer at 12 and hours totalizer at 9.

Which one is more accurate? I would gather the proper config uses what is offered by the standard A7750 movement.

My challenge...should you choose to accept it...is to download pics...resize them for equivalent comparison...and write something up for the community!!

Congrats to the Ebel 1911 and welcome :)

I think some ppl would say that you should use that search button, im sure all information needed can be found here using that. But in general i believe that the movement could be different, same with the crystal and non working chronos etc. Good luck in your quest.

My challenge...should you choose to accept it...is to download pics...resize them for equivalent comparison...and write something up for the community!!

Hmmmm. Will think about it and see how far it takes me.

Hesitant because pictures may not clearly demonstrate small differences which add up to a major "feel".

I guess that my interest is different from many others in so far that I am less concerned with precise replication and more interested in feel and functionality. How precise is the watch, does the chrono work, is it water proof, will the glass scratch, etc.

I will not normally worry if an expert eye can tell that the font on the date is marginally different. - If it is really nicely done that is more important to me.

And that would be very hard to compare from pics alone. For that you would need to have the watches in hand.

But never say never....

In general...I wouldn't expect any of the lower end watches to be waterproof in the chrono range. The more expensive ones these days, seem to be copying the construction of the gens with all the gaskets, and similar design...but the cheaper ones will be cheaper. They still feel like big, heavy watches...but won't have the same feel as the better ones...very good value feel...but not the same.

The chrono function on these cheaper quartz ones will work...just not the same as the gen because the movement layout is different...that is a huge difference but one you may not care about.

Mineral crystal vs. sapphire...the latter is tougher...but AR can get scratched...