When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good news! DSSD tested solid to 10 ATMs!

gioarmani

Ok, so I took my newly modded DSSD V3 to my trusted smithy today and had it tested in the ol' Bergeon. Long story short, she tested solid to 5 ATMs.

As I wanted to see exactly how far I really could push this model (past the 2000 psi strength epoxy, past the rep two-piece caseback, past the rep's supposed triple-lock crown system, and the ring-lock system, etc...) I decided to head over to my AD.

*gasp*

Now, i know, this may sound like a ridiculous move at first--but keep in mind a long-standing friend of mine has been store manager at both the Mayors, and Bailey, Banks & Biddle ADs, and is quite familiar with the world of "super" reps (as he owns a few of these "novelties" himself ;) )--and it was the only place I knew of with equipment reliable enough to go up to 10 ATMs. (no worries of exposing any sort-of unheard of developments in the rep-world to the wrong parties).

Anyway, this was one of the $5,000 electronic/vacuum operated machines that tests a hell of a lot further than your average $600 Bergeon could ever dream of. For posterity's sake, we ran it through the works--twice--and not so much as a hiccup, as it cleared a flawless test to a depth of 10 ATMs--twice.

All in all, after the mods shown here...:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/To-Moddifying-Rolex-D-t94391.html

...this watch tested to a minimum of 330 feet below sea level. And even though I don't know of anyone with a machine (on premise) that goes beyond 10 ATMs, I seriously think this rep--after mods--could easily go further than 330 ft.

(To extrapolate, the marine epoxy I used is guaranteed to withstand 2000psi of pressure, and each ATM is aprox 14 psi. So is this stuff really good to 2000 psi, or 142 ATMs, or 4600 feet?...hmmm...)

In other words, one ATM (equivalent to the surface pressure at sea level, achieved by simply sticking your arm in the pool) is equal to approximately 14 pounds per square inch, and that the pressure changes for "atmospheres" (ATM) that occur at an intervals of 1 ATM of change per every additional 33 ft of depth. So, at a depth of 33 feet, the pressure exerted on us is that of 1 ATM, PLUS the 1 ATM already present at the surface, for a total of two ATMs. At 66 feet, we're under that surface ATM, plus another 2 for a total of 3 ATMs, and so on.

If I'm remembering correctly, essentially, "air" pressure decreases with altitude and "water" pressure increases with depth--like the principle behind a barometer with varying height, I guess. Because water is denser than air, the pressure increases more rapidly as you descend.

To understand the reason why it's important to know the difference between air & water pressure is that air's volume in a certain space is reduced proportionate to the water pressure surrounding it. At 2 ATMs the volume of air is halved, even though the density is doubled. At 3 ATMs the air is at a third of surface volume, and so on. At 2 ATMs the volume of air is halved, but the density is doubled, at 3 ATM it is tripled, because the waterr pressure is tripled as well. Understand?

In other words, the air within a confined space will expand proportionally as pressure is reduced. For example, moving from 2 ATM to 1 ATM (from 66 to 33 feet, or even from 33 feet to the surface), the air in a closed container will double. This is why it's necessarily not the submersion (the dive) that will kill you, it's the surfacing that will.

Basically, the deeper you go, the greater the water pressure on the timepiece and the greater pressure on the air trapped inside. It is this very difference in volume & density that makes the air want to expand & escape (thus letting air out while letting water in) or, worst case scenario, causes the crystal to explode from the watch, destroying it. This is why past 600 feet, your skull will implode, and not explode.

Illustrated on the atmosphere-to-psi calculator here...:

http://www.lenntech.com/unit-conversion-ca...or/pressure.htm

...the pressure exerted on this DSSD at 10 ATMs, or 330 ft, was approximately 147 pounds of pressure per square inch.

I scuba dive--but not to these sorts of depths--and considering without a proper diving bell, the human head implodes at 600+ feet...

So, I guess the real puzzle left to solve is if this epoxy really will hold 2000 psi, does anyone know where the hell I can have it tested?

;)

IMG_1133.jpg

Hi bro, its great that your testing this and letting everyone know what their own piece might stand up to although I'd advise against advertising that you have a rep friendly AD manager and saying which jewellers they are at! You never know who might be looking after all!

So, I guess the real puzzle left to solve is if this epoxy really will hold 2000 psi, does anyone know where the hell I can have it tested?

Another great post Gio. Take it to the Mariana Trench with a very very long piece of string.... 10,911 metres long. That should do it :D

Cheers

P.

Just spent the day at the Sandpearl in Clearwater; hit both the ocean & the pools; held up fine. Next weekend, off to Long Boat Key to dive & take in Beethoven's 9th at the Sarasota Orchestra. Will update how far I take the DSSD down to; want to get it to at least 100 ft or so.

Ciao.

• 2 weeks later...