When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on Pam 217 crystal

Bong_H2O

I recently aquired a DSN 47mm PAM 217 Marina Militare, I love the watch, but have a question about the dome crystal. It appears to distort the numerals on the dial when looking directly down at the face of the watch. This is a sapphire crystal with AR coating. I have noticed that other photo's of the dial (on reps of the same model) are often taken from a side angle, thereby minimizing any distortion that may be visible from a direct shot of the dial. I dont know if this is coincidence, or if this distortion is inherant on this particular model. Is the gen subject to the same issue? Is there a problem with my crystal? Is this just a feature of the gen that I should learn to live with? Thanks. :)

Karl

5.jpg

I am also interested to know more about it, will be very curious to know if gen has same problem ?

This distorsion problem is a problem i hate for some years :angry:

For my vintage i use the madasboot plexi who don't have this problem, and some time the DSN plexi.

A "gen" without this kind of problem is the RXW MM20, lightly domed but saphire.

It should have some distortion, of course. But that looks a bit extreme compared to pictures of the gen. I was thinking about buying this rep too. Here are some gen pictures. Any chance you could take some pictures of your rep from the same angle?

post-18787-1238110928_thumb.jpg

post-18787-1238110968_thumb.jpg

post-18787-1238110993_thumb.jpg

I know the pain that you have with the distortion of the crystal!!!

I own a DSN 217 with swiss eta and was and be happy with it at all. the quality is very high but still a rep.

On last GTG in Erfurt i had the possibility to compare it with a GEN

I was a kind of bringing back to the ground ....

The first difference was the different distortion. The Gen distort too but not at the same place as DSN does. it s more to the bezel so the numbers shown in the right size when you look on the dial in 90Degrees.

the case has a little bit better finnish but thats nitpicking

the hands looks real the same

MM printing is little more bold but in my eyes it looks nicer than gen

all in all you get the best rep 217 out of the box but it still have flaws

_P6N4690p.jpg

_P6N4813ps.jpg

cheers helmut

Edited by earlgrey-erfurt

I just checked. The RXW MM20 does have minimal distortions, but distortion is also fun IMHO. It makes the watch more unique. It's one of the reason I am thinking about getting a DSN 127. The MM20 crystal does have its own problem, its sapphire crystal is too flat on the middle, which casts a round shadow in the middle of the dial.

MM202-1.jpg

Edited by cougaree

Just enjoy your watch, Dude! It's a rep and nothing much you could do about it! The Gen is Rare and your chanc of being called out is 1 to none!

here's mine:

pam217ddi2.jpg

pam217ate6.jpg

Cheers! :thumbsupsmileyanim: