When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling gives the SA a new look...

Dave123

Need some better pics. Not so sure the "bigger everything" is better. Interesting though - if they're already switching back to the arabic numerals, this is going to make these baton dials rare limited editions! ;)

Spoke to my Breit AD few months ago re batton-dialed SAs...he said the overall World-wide sales of new SAs dropped 60% since the batton dial intro, and most of the people opted for the old-style numeral black dial/silver-subdials SA model. I'm sure the whole economic downturn would have had a great part in it, but still.

The "new" updated SA model direction kinda supports his statements.

Dave, not sure what to think about the new dial, the numerals are almost touching each other, the wings seem the same size as before but appear larger since they're now squashed in-between the DW window, bottom of the top subdial and number 2.

Let's wait for more detailed dial scans. :)

One thing's for sure, the new dial will be a child's play to reproduce by current SA rep maker (Hublot maker).

cheers and thanks for the heads up!

Dave, not sure what to think about the new dial, the numerals are almost touching each other, the wings seem the same size as before but appear larger since they're now squashed in-between the DW window, bottom of the top subdial and number 2.

I agree. The jury is still out until better pics arrive, but my initial reaction is: Goofy Looking!

Spoke to my Breit AD few months ago re batton-dialed SAs...he said the overall World-wide sales of new SAs dropped 60% since the batton dial intro, and most of the people opted for the old-style numeral black dial/silver-subdials SA model. I'm sure the whole economic downturn would have had a great part in it, but still.

To be honest...I'm not a big fan of either the baton or the dot SAs. I really liked the old arabic numberal models the best. This one to me seems all wonky with the proportions. With the "white space" (black in this dial pic) offered by having small lume dots, and the subdial size...it makes it seem like the case is big but everything else is the wrong proportion inside. But that's me. Either way...the SA size was too large for me.

I agree. The jury is still out until better pics arrive, but my initial reaction is: Goofy Looking!

Not really a fan of this dial either really the more i look at it,i like the old arabic big wings dial,the batons dial has been a sales dud for Breitling,even the rep guys know that (they have the numbers as well,i was told this over a month ago)and thats why they canned plans of making a rep of it.

Why did they bother with messing up a winner?... :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave123

They made the numerals on this new SA dial like the stenciled numerals on the Skyland, or also like the SA Black Steel. If you look carefully you can see the split in some of the numbers. It's not bad at all. It's a nice progression back to the arabic, yet with the ruggedness of the Skyland numerals and now they're polished, not painted.

Obviously this is a terrible picture, but I think the big lume dots can be attributed to the bad lighting. I don't think that they are as puffy as it seems.

Looks like it might be another franken project for me when these come around...

SuperSkylandAvenger.jpg

Guru has posted on RWI (under Breitling section) few more pics of the new SA he snapped while at Basel show.

For me, the latest dial hasn't been thought thru very well from design point of view.

The numerals style and shape are taken from SABS, and then even more enlarged so they're almost touching at some dial areas (7&8, 10&11).

IMO for the large numerals to work on current SA dial real estate the chapter ring should have been made with lesser bevel, i.e. more perpendicular to the dial. That would have allowed for numerals to be pushed more towards the bezel, or dial edge and the whiole look would retain the balance current SA stick and numeral models have.

While a good fit on existing models, the oversized Breit logo doesn't work on this dial at all, it looks rediculous. ...sorry...

It actualy isn't as bad as I thought...actually it's not bad at all ;-)

They also changed the look of Skyland Avenger...now both new '09 SA and AS look almost identical.

Check the post on TZ:

Link here

I'm sensing some nice AS and SA reps coming in second part of '09 ;)

For me ...can't say that's a good thing. I like both a lot but having them look almost identical is kind of silly IMHO. :unknw:

Actually I don't see it like that, for most people it's either or, majority that go for Skylands normaly wouldn't be able to pull off SA, those that find SA a good fit rarely "downsize" ;)

Actually I don't see it like that, for most people it's either or, majority that go for Skylands normaly wouldn't be able to pull off SA, those that find SA a good fit rarely "downsize" ;)

True enough...I guess my heart still lies with the baton dial version of the SA :wub:...makes it unique. Anyway, it is a kick a$$ watch no matter what dial it has! ;)