When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Case Compatability

Heywood

Gentlemen,

Wondering if any vintage submariner rep cases other than MBW will accept genuine parts. I'm looking to case up a genuine movement and want to finish it out with genuine crystal, crown and tube. Any chances? Looks like the MBW's are kinda hard to come by.

The MBW difference is the construction of the watch. MBW's use the same system to secure the crystal, bezel, etc. as genuine. No other vintage Sub or SD reps on the market have the same features.

97666-26994.jpg

97666-26995.jpg

97666-26996.jpg

97666-26997.jpg

The retaining ring, bezel and insert are all transferrable to other watches, as long as the genuine crystal fits the rehaut lip. Since these are tension fit pieces, they press right on. But if the crystal doesn't fit then it's not going to work. Of course, the other concerns are 1) finding these parts, and 2) the parts alone can cost as much as a complete MBW watch anyways, so it's better to just start with an MBW.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for a gen case for 2 years, but when they come around they always sell for too high a price for my blood. If things will fit together thats what really counts-parts is parts-right? Ubi, your absolutely right about the cost. The bezel kits sell on the bay for something like $279 for the bezel, spring, retainer and insert. Most parts for R*lex cost ten times what they should or what I think their worth.

Well, a genuine crystal can certainly fit most rep cases, but without a retaining ring to properly seal it, would you trust it? Especially if you're using a genuine 1575?

Cost is high for parts; cost for an MBW seems more realistic. But, for what it's worth, I do have an extra retaining ring and bezel... No washer spring tho.