When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TimeZone - Level 1 Toolkit

jody73

Hi,

Planning on starting the Timezone Watch School. The easy way to get the necessary tools from the beginning is to order the Timezone Level 1 Toolkit.

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page131.htmlBergeon

I am just uncertain if it is worth spending $326.00 on this one. Can I get the same quality tools (Bergeon or equal) cheaper anywhere else?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Cheers :)

jody

If you are prepared to do some homework...shop around... you can do a fair bit better.

However it is a great starting point.

So if you need a quick fix, pay the $$...be content, knowing you may even find some other (maybe better) options.

Which in the long term you will finally replace.

Eventually you will end up with a whole series of various tools, some good, some average, and some very ordinary, or worthless. Unfortunately this is part of the game.

One example.

Screwdrivers...the most important item.

I have a set of Horotec, and a set of Bergeon ( who's earlier blades were rubbish)

In the last day or two, I have purchased another set (from China)

I will get this 5 piece set for $22.50 incl post,...if they are as good as claimed, they will make the Swiss/French sets irrelevant!

However it will be a couple of weeks before I can "suck it and see"

And that's just screwdrivers!

Also we know from the rep world that things are copied (and sold as gen! :rolleyes: ) So you must be wary that you aren't paying Swiss/French prices, for Chinese wannabees.

Bit like buying a watch actually! :D

Offshore

Thanks for the input offshore :)

I have not found a decent place to get quality tools in Norway. So when buying tools on the net from a different country I have to consider the postage and VAT as well. I have purchased a few tools from Germany, but the postage was almost as high as the price of the tools.

By getting the package I think I might save some on the postage and I do not have to spend a lot of time searching the net in order to find a cheaper site. So unless anyone says that they know a site where I can get the same tools much cheaper I think I'll go ahead.

Cheers

jody

I would go ahead & invest in the TZ toolset. They are good, quality tools & the set is designed for the beginning watch enthusiast or budding watchmaker. As your skills & knowledge level increase (assuming you stick with it for a long time or work on alot of watches), you will develop your own preferences. But, for now, I think the TZ kit will make your life alot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments guys :)

Based on the TimeZone Toolkit I have ordered the same tools from a local supplier. About 90% of the tools are identical, the rest should be of equal quality. I hope that getting Bergeon tools, means quality tools and that they will serve me well for many years. Because they are not cheap!

The price of getting it locally is basically the same as importing it from the USA. But if anything is not working, it should it is easier to complain face to face :)

Now I just need to get hold of a 2801-2 movement and I'll be ready to start on the course

Cheers

jody