When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another DSSD? Different than V2 or V3

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Here is the DSSD that I picked up the other day. It has several V3 features, but a few other oddities.

It has a matte dial, but it is not the same matte as on the V2. It is not a gloss like the GMT IIc or a Submariner, but it is also not as flat as the V2. Its somewhere between the V2 and the standard Rolex black dials.The date window is beveled, but nearly as nicely as the V2.

It has the correct HEV, and it pushes out from inside as it should.

It has the V3 blue lume and DAMN does it glow for awhile. I charged it for 1 minute last night at midnight, and could still read the time at 4am from about 5 feet away.

It has a better, but still too thin bezel insert. The engraving is perfect, and slightly thicker the that other V3's Ive seen, but not nearly as thick as the V2's.

It has a two piece case back as it should, but has no case back engraving.

It has ORIG ROLEX DESIGN and STAINLESS STEEL engraved between the lugs, but no reference number or serial numbers. Looks like a trip to the engraver is in order.

The pearl is much better than either the V2's or V3's that I have seen but it seems to stick up too high still. I might try modding it to sit lower...

It appears to have the same or nearly the same bezel construction as the GMT IIc. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it off. It simply wont budge.

The bracelet is near perfection. The screws melt into the bracelet on the threaded side just like a gen. The screws are only slightly too short on the slotted side, but not nearly as bad as some Ive seen.

The bracelet glide lock is spring loaded unlike the V2 and the spring seems heavier than that on other V3's. The engraving on the wet suit extension is pretty close to perfect.

The coronet on the crystal is WOW... It took me awhile to find it, but its there and a perfect size. The V2 that I have has no coronet on the crystal.

And here is my favorite part... I set the watch on Friday evening at 11pm.. So I am at a little over 36 hours and it has not gained or lost a single second. I wore the watch all day yesterday and it sat on my desk all night both nights. It has a Swiss 2836.

I picked this up from what appears to be a local SoCal dealer. He had several models available, and multiples of each. It was nice to be able to look at the watch prior to sending off the money. He claimed to check each before selling them, and that he sends back those that do not meet his standards. I paid $360 which for the eta version is about the price of buying it and having it shipped from China.

Here are the pics...

dscn2426.jpg

dscn2428.jpg

dscn2433.jpg

dscn2435.jpg

dscn2437.jpg

dscn2439.jpg

dscn2441.jpg

dscn2443.jpg

dscn2447.jpg

dscn2448.jpg

dscn2452.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

The dealer was someone I found by accident. Since he was local (about an hours drive) I thought I would give him a shot... It proved to be a good trip.

I can PM his information, but am not sure what rules/policies there are concerning divulging the information openly. If there are none, then I will post his website.

The sticker was printed and put on by me.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Why, yes I do... Here are a couple.

I couldnt tell you what the camera settings were... They were taken with a point and shoot Nikon digital. But, these were taken about 5 minutes after the lume had been charged for about a minute. The lume stays at this strength for about 20-30 minutes, but is still very visible even after 4+ hours.

dscn2457l.jpg

dscn2454t.jpg