When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA crown stem not clicking in

highoeyazmuhudee

I FINALLY finished building this sub after several delays and grueling tasks involved with everything on this convoluted project and when I went to fit the hands for midnight finding the date click over the damn crown fell of the stem. It had had come unscrerwed, SO i removed the caseback, it was already in the time set posistion, pushed the ETA button to release the stem and pulled it out with tweezers, refitted the crown and now it wont stay in the movement after putting the stem in as far as it should go. It goes all the way into its winding posistion put simply does nothing when wound and pulls out without even pressing the stem release button! :angry: any ideas guys? it's like a slap in the face after all I went through to complete this project.

Only ever remove a stem in the winding position, the time setting position is the worst possible position to have the keyless works in when you remove the stem.

This is one of the old wives tales that simply won't go away, that and overwinding a watch...only ever remove a stem in the winding position.

You have to disassemble the watch enough to see what the problem is with the keyless works, and fix it. Sorry to say there is not other solution.

RG

yeah I figured I'd have to tear it apart was wondering if any one else has had a similar issue so I could learn from their experience with it. Thanks for the info The Zigmeister about the winding posistion. I'll disassemble the keyless works and hopefully not ruin this ETA movement. I'll include pics for reference. Krustybrand I'm pretty sure the problem is internal as the stem goes in fully but doesn't engage, thanks for the input tho perhaps in another situation that would have saved me from tearing it apart.

OK i managed to get the stem to click and lock in place, date change posistion works, time setting posistion works, MANUAL wind posistion just spins freely without winding the movement. any thoughts? thanks

Make sure the spring on the keyless cover is properly engaged against the yoke, see this pic borrowed from Bazz's keyless works tutorial

post-4269-1239185390_thumb.jpg

Its easily overlooked but non the less vital that its in place.

Make sure the spring on the keyless cover is properly engaged against the yoke, see this pic borrowed from Bazz's keyless works tutorial

post-4269-1239185390_thumb.jpg

Its easily overlooked but non the less vital that its in place.

after comparing the pic to my movement it appears you are correct :thumbs:

what's the correct way to set this spring in its place? I could just pull it over(?) I currently have the crown stem in the wind posistion and all of the keyless works assembled on the movement

after comparing the pic to my movement it appears you are correct :thumbs:

what's the correct way to set this spring in its place? I could just pull it over(?) I currently have the crown stem in the wind posistion and all of the keyless works assembled on the movement

Just push it gently with a screwdriver, once it clicks into place it'll stay put.