When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Difference between 2836-2 and 2824-2?

CJT74

The 2836 is slightly thicker (5.05mm) vs the 2824 (4.8mm), so you may run into stem alignment &/or caseback space issues. But if you can get it to fit in your case, I believe the hands & dial are transferable, so it should work fine.

Is there a reason you cannot repair your existing movement?

Well the whole problem started with the stem not clicking into place. It would not stay in. I figured that I pushed the little release to hard and damaged the retaining mechanism.

So being the mechanical guy I am I started to go into it. I removed the date disk to access the area where the stem retainer is. I took that apart and I just can't seem to get it back together properly. I did get it together and it appeared to be correct but the stem still wouldn't lock in. Then to make things worse I messed up the date wheel mechanism.

A watchmaker I am not. I can remove and install a movement, dial and hands but that about it as far as the inside goes. On top of that I messed up the minuite hand so I'm in a pickle now. At the very least I need a movement and a handset.

Looks like I found a couple of 2836 movements. Will this one work the same? it has a day disk too. I guess it will just be covered up so it won't matter right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETA-2836-2-DAY-DATE-25...%3A1%7C294%3A50

I would stick with the 2836, don't try the 2824 because of the stem alignment issue.

The movement you linked to may be an ETA, but I'm not so sure it's Swiss. These guys are in China and they don't say Swiss- just ETA. Of course, it may work out just fine, just remove the day disk. But you might want to look around for a rep friendly watchmaker. If he could fix your movement for $30-50 you'd still be ahead. You don't say what kind of hands you have, but Clarks probably carries them.

Ah, the old '25 Jew' movement - these do not work on Saturdays. ;)

It should work, but you probably just need to unbend the set lever & be sure the set screw (that goes into it from the other side) is threaded into it when you reassemble. This is a very common problem with ETAs. You have to use the proper (black jewelers) screwdriver when gently pressing the stem release button.

Yeah I saw that they were in China so I figured it might be an asian movement. Would I need to remove the day disk or can I leave it in place and have the dial covering it? I really don't want to mess with that area of the movement again.

I think I just want to buy a new movement instead of trying to have this one repaired. I intend to stay with the same type of hande but I will need a new set.