When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO 5th version vs UPO?

mikejungle

So...a few quick questions.

What's the difference between the 5th version of the PO and the UPO? And Why is the 5th version cheaper? Is it not as accurate?

Is the UPO (or 5th version PO) fully waterproof? Not really a diver, so I'm not concerned about it being accurate to its depth rating, but I'd like for it to not break after a swim in the pool or ocean. If it is actually close to the depth rating and anyone knows, please let me know.

And is the helium escape valve just an aesthetic consideration or would it actually work if the watch was taken diving?

I think that's it for now.

Hi, by the way. New to the forums.

Won't get involved in the differences, as I don't know! Hopefully someone else can assist.

As far as the waterproof ability of any rep..................

I would always assume that the watch, any rep watch, was NOT waterproof, and take steps to assure myself that what I had was!

With the lack of QC on these watches, even though one may pass, the next 10 may fail.

So never assume, that just because someone reports that their XXX, when received, passed a test to X m, that yours also will!

As to the helium valve, unless you plan on saturation diving, it doesn't matter!

My understanding is that many buyers have needed to seal it off, just to get some level of water resistance!

And I wouldn't think the rep valve would operate as was originally intended. :rolleyes:

Offshore

When you say 5th version, is that the 42mm that Pam111 advertises, or is it the 5th generation 45mm PO? (If you have a link to it that may be useful)

If it is the predecessor to the UPO, then the 5th generation is not as accurate. From what I can remeber, the He valve isn't placed correctly, and the date font isn't as good....there were some other differences, but I can't remember them :)