When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 40mm franken PAM51C in progress

Hongkytonkman

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Gentlemen,

Like to introduce my one of my on going projects, the lil' brother of PAMS

the PAM51C.. the smaller 40mm model.(Nope this not for my Mrs. :))

Many projects are on the table at the moment, but since I prefer the Panerai over other brands, plus its smaller size & SS/Leather Strap swap can take on almost every kind of suit/occasion ; this should be one of the daily beaters.

Many disregard the 40mm models, and yes this feels smaller from my other 44/45/47mm PAMs, but sometimes I find the larger modles bulky.(I have a 7 1/4inch wrist)

Before the pics begin, I would like to give BIG THANKS to many members on this forum for advice, especially DADOG13 for forwarding me a SALES POST on a rare A7750/Accurate Caseback/SS PAM51C at a great price, and fellow members

Beano/Sylar for providing a GEN dial at an affordable price as well.

I'll let the pics do the talking.

Here's the out of the box PAM51C. Mind covering the DW.

It's a faily accurate piece, the lower dash on the A's and green lumes may be the pet peeves to some, but since the 40mms are smaller, it is hard to tell.

000_0110-2.jpg

After acquiring the GEN dial, I start disassembly.

Screws off.

100_1892-1.jpg

Caseback, Crown guard off ya go.

100_1895-1.jpg

Crown and movement ring screws taken off as well.

100_1897-1.jpg

So the movement is out on its own, and the hands are ready to be pulled off

using a presto hand remover.

100_1899-1.jpg

Hands are off, rep dial is pulled out with care. No pics here..

Here's a comparison of the REP and GEN dial.

Before looking at the GEN in person, I had some doubt on the lacquer finish of the REP.

But as you can see here, it's not that bad. Almost spot on.. Round of applause for the Chinese.

IMHO, the biggest aspect the GEN has over the REP is the thickness/boldness/darker printing of the dial. Just have to see it to believe it.

100_1902-1.jpg

The GEN dial is now placed on the movement with the hands. Need to check the DW changes properly w/ the hands. All of this is done on a movement holder. Just took pics on a bergeon movement cushion/pad.

I hate that thin DW! ANYONE W/ WHITE LELLO 7750 DW Please shoot me a PM :)

100_1905-1.jpg

The Assembly is just the opposite....plus the o-rings greased, quick lube on the necessary parts.. here's the finish product.

LOVE the dark/bold printing. The hands quality is quite good as well. Some SL mod in need though.

100_1905-1.jpg

Quick shot next to the REP dial.

100_1908-1.jpg

Mind the smudge:)

100_1909-1.jpg

So, what do I do next? Well, it seems the DW swap is a must...

and there are a few others as well ; lume the hands/polish out the Cannon Pinion, 6mm chief cyclops. new polish on the case..and the list goes on..

Still a long a way to go,(considering this took me half a year already..) but i'm quite satified at the moment.

I've made a strap as well to match the 22mm lugs.

100_1923-1.jpg

100_1920-1.jpg

Beveled on the edges.

100_1919-1.jpg

Wrist shot.

100_1926-1.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

100_1911-1.jpg

EDIT : Didn't notice my supporter status was terminated :( Need upgrade soon :)

Edited by Hongkytonkman

Very nice indeed. Good stuff. I'm looking around for 40mm options...and there don't seem to many. Where did you figure out how to make a strap? It looks great!!

Good post indeed. Upgrade to Supporter...again...and enter Lani's free raffle for his Rollie YM!!

Great post!!!