When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone up for putting a sapphire caseback on your Rolex?

gioarmani

interesting.

It went for a huge price too, as it included the letter between Rolex and the client. Check out the specs:

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date GMT-Master with transparent back

Estimated price: 20,000USD^30,000USD

Purchase price: 125,500USD

4x the estimated price.

This is from another site as I don't have my catalogue with me:

This is not a common GMT, otherwise it is only worth a few dozen thousand Yuan. This GMT is a custom product which Professor Hugh G. Wales of University of South Africa ordered from Rolex on 7th of March, 1962. It is not only custom-made but also with transparent back which is quite rare in the history of Rolex. Of all the Rolex products, apart from two oysters with manual winding movement and transparent back in 1940's, this is the third transparent product recognized by the factory. Maybe at that time, Rolex was not so missish and could accept such special custom-made products. The more precious thing for this GMT is that the letters between the factory at that time and the professor are being kept, telling the cause and effect of this custom-made product, so it is called Rolex with stories. The purchase price also reflects the popularity of this treasure. I think although it is furious, but not enough. If it is on auction again several years later, the price maybe several times higher.

So extrememly rare...but not unheard of.