When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Transformation of a UPO

DemonSlayer

I personally think that the Omega PO is one of the most beautiful divers watches around. Omega certainly hit a home run with this one. I've owned several UPO's, but I was shocked when I received my first with double AR (k222) which I bought from b16a2. The AR is beautiful, the tint ranges from blue to purple to pink depending on the light and angle, practically the same as the gen. Its a real shame about what happened with him and that he's no longer around to offer us this amazing service. This small mod has a HUGE affect on the overall appearance of the watch. The dial can be seen in its "true colors" and the beautiful matte black finish is really shown off with the AR. It also makes it look at least ten times more expensive :D If theres only one mod I would recommend for UPO owners, its to get it double AR'ed asap, trust me you will like it a lot more! Photo of the UPO I received:

18022009315.jpg

(pic courtesy of b16a2)

After wearing this version for a couple of weeks, I started looking at pictures of the impressive black bezel white number PO as worn by Daniel Craig. I realised that its a lot more versatile and decided that this would be the version for me. I also decided that I would like to have a gen crown and tube installed as it operates wayyy smoother when setting the time and date. This mod would also solve any thread stripping issues in the future (which the UPO is notorious for).

I decided to try out the EU based watchmaker Domenico (dmuit) for these relatively small mods. I had read great things about him and saw examples of his work as posted by various members here, which impressed me to say the least. Well it turns out all of these things are true. Communications were very prompt and friendly, work turnaround time was very fast, he uses a secure postal service to UK and packages the finished watch very securely. His prices are competitive, even when I paid in EUR and finally the quality of his workmanship is first class IMO. I even think he fixed small things which I didn't specifically ask for, I'm sure he sanded/filed the new insert so it sits slightly recessed on the bezel like the gen and some other things.. I would definitely recommend him to EU members, you won't be disappointed.

Yesterday I polished off all the swirlies on the mirrored parts of the case and bezel using a 3-step process using 3 different compounds and 3 different polishing wheels on a dremel. Its now completely free of any marks (even under strong light, which cape cod and other such products ALWAYS leave). If you do see any marks in the pics, its fingerprints which managed to get on even after I wiped the watch with a lens cloth :angry:

Now onto the pics:

upo-modded003-1.jpg

upo-modded006.jpg

upo-modded008-2.jpg

upo-modded012.jpg

upo-modded014.jpg

upo-modded019.jpg

upo-modded021.jpg

upo-modded022.jpg

Thanks SR :) k222 packed up and left, with quite a few members' watch crystals/cases/watches. A real shame about what he did, as he did offer some real beautiful AR. Check out this thread, offers more insight:

Is Jakub away?

At least we still have Chief whose AR is too good in some cases :lol: ie even better than the gen.

I decided to try out the EU based watchmaker Domenico (dmuit) for these relatively small mods. I had read great things about him and saw examples of his work as posted by various members here, which impressed me to say the least. Well it turns out all of these things are true. Communications were very prompt and friendly, work turnaround time was very fast, he uses a secure postal service to UK and packages the finished watch very securely. His prices are competitive, even when I paid in EUR and finally the quality of his workmanship is first class IMO. I even think he fixed small things which I didn't specifically ask for, I'm sure he sanded/filed the new insert so it sits slightly recessed on the bezel like the gen and some other things.. I would definitely recommend him to EU members, you won't be disappointed.

Domenico is really....................... SUPER!

Thanks, DS! That's a great thread and was exactly what I was looking for. I think that wiping between compounds is one of the keys to a good result. I'll give it a try. I'm sure people would appreciate a full description with pihotos, of course.

H

No problem, happy to help out. I've become somewhat of a fanatic lately regarding case/bracelet refinishing, and so researched a lot into polishing. I just wasn't happy with those chemical polishing products, they always left micro scratches that can be seen under a lamp. Plus when you're using them with your hands, it will take a lot longer to get results that aren't even satisfactory (well to me anyway). As a matter of fact the total cost of these compounds and wheels were a lot less than the brasso, silvo, cape cod cloths and Mother's mag, and they are far superior and will outlast any of these chemical polishes.

Nice watch! Just added this to my "Got To Get" list...

Thanks tb, the UPO is a fantastic watch, but its wayyy better with the double AR. This mod alone will make the UPO "look" more gen and expensive than any other mod IMO.

Looks great! I've got three 45mm PO's, but I am really starting to miss the 42mm version I used to have. I think overall it's a much better balanced watch. But it came nowhere the accuracy of the UPO. Hopefully there will be a new improved 42mm one day soon!