When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC or Breitling?! :)

kbuur

Hi everyone,

thanks for a great site - it has deifinitely given me reading material enough for the next couple of days.

I am considering to buy an IWC

I love this one, but haven't been able to find a rep of it anywhere: http://www.thisnext.com/item/8DDEBFF0/4382...er-Split-Minute

or, IWC 3707 GST Chronograph Automatic Ti Replica or IWC Aquatimer Cousteau Diver 2006 (http://www.rwg.cc/members/IWC-Aquatimer-Cousteau-Di-t27166.html).

I have a slightly small wrist - any experiences with that and IWC?

What kind of mods do you guys recommend? AR? SWISS 7750?

And where would I be able to get it done? I am located in Chicago.

Once again thanks for a great site!

let me do this before someone else does...LOL

IT IS CALLED A "SEARCH" button...

It is located in the upper right hand corner on top of the Forum....right next to "upgrade" function (which you really should use as well)...

Anyways ..."SEARCH" function contains all the answers you'll EVER EVER need....just type in what you want.

PS: NOT trying to be a [censored] or anything...good luck with your research

Thanks for your "help" ... :)

As I am writing in this section, it probably means I am new here.

And I have been spending quite some time in here already. I will use a little more time with the search button, and maybe get some answers.

The only replica of that one comes in stainless steel, not titanium so it's not accurate.

Have a search for the IWC 'Slevin', and the Coasteau divers. Both are very good replica's. The come with an asian 7750 but they're not a bad movement at all, especially after servicing.

Have a read through some of the IWC section (especiallt the guide at the top which is very good), it should provide penty of answers. If you have anymore questions after that, ask away

Face it, you've been bitten. Oh, it starts off as seemingly harmless curiosity, then being indecisive about your first watch. But as the poison spreads and begins to infect your whole brain, you'll find yourself rummaging through your garage and attic, maybe even the kids, relatives and neighbors stuff to sell on eBay or craigslist because you need to feed your addiction. Cutting off both your arms won't help, you'll still find a place to wear one...

libertydevittoanklewatch.jpg

My condolences to you and your family. :(

First of all, thank you guys for all of your friendly welcomes! :)

And yes, consider me bitten! Big time! I am currently spending app. 63% of my time considering which watch to buy, searching for different reviews, checking out dealers etc. I enjoy it, though! It feels like, when I was 11 years old and just got a new computer game that I just had to finish! With watches though, there will never been a final conclusion - an end!

I like that the IWCs have a little more edge (in a non-Seiko way, IMO); whereas the Breitlings are more masculine and professional! One of each wouldn't be a bad way to go! But also, sorrounded by semi-watch-knowers, it would be weird if I all of a sudden showed up with an IWC one day and a Breitling the next - afterall my boss knows I am not making $200.000/year.

Also, I don't want to push my fellow gen-Breitling wearers with my rep-one... :) It has to come naturally, which is why I am considering the IWC as a first choice. Also, I am only 26, and even though suits are part of my everyday life, I like to blend a little sportyness in there!

I have searched (a lot now), and I am still unable to find any experiences with IWC when having a slightly small wrist? I know the watches are usually around 44mm in diameter, but not that high - around 17mm.

So any experiences would be highly appreciated! :)

Welcome aboard. You can't go wrong wither way - in my experience, an IWC will wear smaller (not as proud or tall) than a Breitling

Also, 9 times out of 10, nobody will notice what watch you are wearing. Only nuts like us care and look ;)

My opinion is that IWC conveys more money than breitling. But I'm considering purchasing a breitling soon because I found some that are very accurate reps. IWC had a few that caught my eye but I was always scrutinizing the dial. I forgot which one it was by now though. It's hard for me to pick out an IWC that I want because I'm too into super reps.

Welcome.

My first rep, (can it be only a month ago?) was the Breitling Steelfish Superocean super-rep. It's a stunner, and you'll be very pleased with it. I got the white face. I ordered it with the SS bracelet, but if I could go back in time, I would have gotten the calfskin strap, which is now on order.

I have an IWC Portuguese 1939 on order as well. VERY elegant, (at least from the pictures, again, the white face,) though at 43mm, pretty good sized. I'll post pics when it comes in.

And in between those two I got an Omega Railmaster, (not the XL,) which is my current fave, and then the TAG F1, which, with the 'Swiss' ETA working chronograph movement, is a ridiculously outstanding value.

Habit forming? I probably should have gotten a cocaine addiction instead.

Cheers

Welcome aboard!

about the mods, there are at least 3 modders close to you. Vaccum, Watchdog, Rex (Repgeek).

mods I would advice: relume. Most high end Breitling reps and IWC reps already have a AR coating (altough that could be better). But the replume just is far away from the genuine article. You will be surprised by the superlume! (i let all my watches being superlumed) Done by Vac & WD.

cheers.

After having read several great tests and looked at 100s of pictures, I have finally settled for IWC Aquatimer Costeau Divers 2006.

I am planning on doing a wooden back mod myself, have it lumed and give an AR coating.

I still haven't decided whether to get the date wheel swapped, as I think it might be the biggest flaw on the watch.

I am currently deciding between Ruby's and Puretime's versions. Read a great comparison of the two, and even though Ruby's version "won" it, I think I might go with the Puretime version. It might not look as gen as Ruby's, but I really like that the bracelet is not as blue as the one on Ruby's model.

I am currently awaiting a photo with neutral lighting from Ruby, after that I will make my final decision.

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes!