When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The ETA 2894 movement... repair advice

I have a watch that sports the ETA 2894 movement.

It requires that the chrono pinion (I don't know what the technical term is, but it's the pinion that holds the chrono hand) be replaced for the current one is damaged. How did it get damaged, I don't know, but I found out that it has that problem from a watchmaker that is currently holding the watch (I sent it because it needed to have the hands installed) - I bought the watch this way and I am planning on having it repaired, put Superlume on the watch dial and new Superlumed hands (it's a project of sorts). I have contacted Watchdog in the past on this watch, but he told me that this watch movement was beyond his skill. His actual words were "... the ETA 2894 is a very specialized movement that can't be repaired or worked on by anyone else but the ETA factory. No watchmaker has the tooling or skills required to work on this movement, me included...".

So, I am at a loss as to what to do. I really hoped that the repair work was possible. Does anyone have any idea as to whether this is something I'm supposed to send to ETA themselves (if that is even possible)?

My other option is to purchase a brand new ETA 2894 and have that installed into the watch case. But, at about $650 (on the bay), I was hoping for another option first.

Edited by Nouns Defions

I have a concord using the same mov't. Brought to a watchsmith the other day and was told that it would cost me around $500 to service it due to the complication.....I was thinking about replacing it too.

The funny thing is that the part I need for the watch is about $10 tops. It's just that this watch - apparently - requires the highest skill from a watchmaker. Oddly, it would cost me less to have my gen Rolex Explorer II serviced.

The issue sometimes is sourcing the part.

Right now, I am having to get my ETA items from Cairo, as the local supplier(Swatch Group) will only take a movement in for service in house.

However if watchdog is not confident in affecting a repair, I think you would be better to get a quote from ETA, and/or purchase a new movement, as if he can't do it, I know of few outside of ETA who could.

Offshore

It is my understanding that this movement needs some kind of factory jig to hold parts in place during re-assembly. This is probably a great reason to avoid any watch with this movement. Quite why ETA designed it this way is a mystery, especially given that the 7750 has set the standard for reliability and ease of service for years.

I've read that Rolex went the opposite way with the 413x movement and made it especially easy to work on.