When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen dial/hands on SMP Chrono

SMP Chrono

Howdy,

now as I am infected with the Franken virus, I am looking for a Gen dial and Gen hands for my Seamaster Chrono. Anybody here selling such parts?

I understand that the chrono seconds hand won't fit, unless its wheel will be exchanged, too (what I maybe will have done to my watch, too, along with the chrono minute counter corrected). But do all other hands fit? And the dial, too?

Thanks!

Howdy,

now as I am infected with the Franken virus, I am looking for a Gen dial and Gen hands for my Seamaster Chrono. Anybody here selling such parts?

I understand that the chrono seconds hand won't fit, unless its wheel will be exchanged, too (what I maybe will have done to my watch, too, along with the chrono minute counter corrected). But do all other hands fit? And the dial, too?

Thanks!

Is your SMP A7750 or quartz?

Is your SMP A7750 or quartz?

(A)7750 of course. Are there really any quartz SMP Chrono Reps out there? :o Must rather be an Emoga Seamonster then ;-)

Already got Gen bezel, crown, crown tube, date disc, date wheel.

Anybody who got something to offer - don't hesitate to PM me! Can pay by paypal immediately.

post-5077-1240478400_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMP Chrono

(A)7750 of course. Are there really any quartz SMP Chrono Reps out there? :o Must rather be an Emoga Seamonster then ;-)

Already got Gen bezel, crown, crown tube, date disc, date wheel.

Anybody who got something to offer - don't hesitate to PM me! Can pay by paypal immediately.

Cant see any reason why the gen dial wouldn't be a easy swap out.

For the record...I also was under the impression that gen hands would fit without issue.

The newer asian 7750 28,800 version has different hand sizes to the genuine 7750 and the older 21k asian. I forget the measurements but they are on the board here somewhere.

So genuine hands won't fit without some modifications

The newer asian 7750 28,800 version has different hand sizes to the genuine 7750 and the older 21k asian. I forget the measurements but they are on the board here somewhere.

So genuine hands won't fit without some modifications

Yea, that's what I learned here too - at least for the chrono seconds hand. Information is not totally clear, though, as for the other hands. Maybe somebody did this himself recently? Mine is 28k8.

We should really collect information about this specific watch in one thread... as there's so much that can apparently be frankened on it :)

The hands will all fit, but the tube on the large seconds hand will need to be broached slightly. Some members have said that you can install it with a little extra force, but better to do it properly if you have the tools.

Like Andreww said, if you have a skilled watchmaker, they can mod the Asian hands to fit (broaching where possible and using glue where required). There's a link to a pic in my SMP Review (linked in my signature) on a fellow member's upgraded one with the gen dial (Lazarini's) which apparently fits without problem.

There's also links to 2 tutorials on swapping from a7750 to Swiss (Takashi and AJS) under Step 6, that outline the hand issues in the Noob Guide in my signature.

Either way you go...great piece. A gen bezel insert would be nice to have the pearl moved up...but for me, NOT at the cost of having to get an entirely new bezel.

Apparently the new release of this watch has the bracelet with pins instead of screws if you're so inclined. I couldn't care less about this either.

A gen bezel insert would be nice to have the pearl moved up...but for me, NOT at the cost of having to get an entirely new bezel.

Check the eBay auction I spotted (other thread) - will probably go for about $100. One has to see both bezel side by side to notice how bad the Rep one really is...

Apparently the new release of this watch has the bracelet with pins instead of screws if you're so inclined. I couldn't care less about this either.

Interesting. But for the price of a new rep, well maybe there comes up a good condition Gen bracelet some day - this isn't something any close to the top of my list, either. Right now I really need a Gen dial :)

Check the eBay auction I spotted (other thread) - will probably go for about $100. One has to see both bezel side by side to notice how bad the Rep one really is...

Interesting. But for the price of a new rep, well maybe there comes up a good condition Gen bracelet some day - this isn't something any close to the top of my list, either. Right now I really need a Gen dial :)

Heh heh...that's why with reps...it's not so easy determining who has the best "XXXXX" as each flaw on a rep has varying degrees of impact and severity depending on the wearer.

I don't mind the rep bezel...but know the low pearl is annoying and would swap that out instantly if an economical solution existed.

On the other hand...I don't mind the rep bracelet...even though many folks find it lower quality. The main flaws to me are the quality of the finish on the INSIDE of the bracelet...while I think the viewable outside looks close enough for me.

The dial wave pattern isn't as deep...but I don't mind this. The lume isn't great...but hey...not a huge priority for me on this one...and that I think is the primary reason to get a gen dial. If I cared enough about the lume, I could just get The Zigmeister to do a relume...but I didn't bother. He did swap the the datewheel and paint the orange hands to match the chapter ring markings...and that looks slick!!

To each there own...either way, the watch is awesome even with the flaws.

I don't mind the rep bezel...but know the low pearl is annoying and would swap that out instantly if an economical solution existed.

First I also thought it was just about the pearl... to repeat myself: once you see them side by side, nothing's gonna be the same again... hehe :)

The differences are subtle enough to not show up clearly using my cheap digital camera, but strong enough that they scream "Gen" or "Rep", respectively, to a true Omega-nerd.

On the other hand...I don't mind the rep bracelet...even though many folks find it lower quality. The main flaws to me are the quality of the finish on the INSIDE of the bracelet...while I think the viewable outside looks close enough for me.

Exactly. That's why I won't force a Gen bracelet.

The dial wave pattern isn't as deep...but I don't mind this. The lume isn't great...but hey...not a huge priority for me on this one...and that I think is the primary reason to get a gen dial.

Also here: Once you see a Gen and a Rep side by side... the hands ain't that bad at all, it is just the lume, and that they're reasonably cheap bought new.

Right now, the watchmaker has my watch apart for a repair... and I missed an auction on a Gen dial 2nite :( So I need to find a dial while the watch is still apart... *sigh*

Edited by SMP Chrono

... and I missed an auction on a Gen dial 2nite :( So I need to find a dial while the watch is still apart... *sigh*

Was that a gen dial that I bought at $61 - sorry about that?

I have a gen Omega 7750 movement that I bought, simply described as a Swiss 7750 - happy days. I intend to buy a complete set of gen hands from Cousins and pop the lot into my rep. It's already on a genuine Omega blue shark strap with a gen Omega deployant so these bits should give me a nice franken.

Was that a gen dial that I bought at $61 - sorry about that?

I love this place. You're not sorry in the least you sniper! :p;):p

Good scores...that's going to be a great final product.

To the OP, in case you didn't see my shoutbox response...Ofrei and H.W. Perrin will likely have the gen dials available (new so more pricey than you may prefer).