When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Search Question

So, I just joined this forum a couple of days ago and I love it. The information you guys have here is so informative and helpful. One thing everyone keeps saying is to use the search function before posting questions on subjects which may have already been covered. Well I have tried this a few times, and so far, I have had zero luck. One example is I read Toad's review on the Omega DeVille Hour Vision earlier today (which was incredible!). Being that the first rep I purchased was an Hour Vision, I thought I would read up some more about it. So I typed in Omega Hour Vision in the search field, and nothing came up! Now I am thinking to myself, how is this possible? I just read a review on the hour vision, so I know there is at least one posting about it. I thought it was weird, but I didn't do anything about it. Then a little later on, I tried it again, and a whole bunch of postings popped up.

My question is - is the search engine intermittent, or am I just missing something here (and yes, I know a few things about computers, so its not a computer illiteracy issue)

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue, or if there is a "special" way to execute searches.

Thanks!

So, I just joined this forum a couple of days ago and I love it. The information you guys have here is so informative and helpful. One thing everyone keeps saying is to use the search function before posting questions on subjects which may have already been covered. Well I have tried this a few times, and so far, I have had zero luck. One example is I read Toad's review on the Omega DeVille Hour Vision earlier today (which was incredible!). Being that the first rep I purchased was an Hour Vision, I thought I would read up some more about it. So I typed in Omega Hour Vision in the search field, and nothing came up! Now I am thinking to myself, how is this possible? I just read a review on the hour vision, so I know there is at least one posting about it. I thought it was weird, but I didn't do anything about it. Then a little later on, I tried it again, and a whole bunch of postings popped up.

It's a simple search engine...and doesn't handle multiple keywords very well. So, here are some simple rules:

1. There is a simple search and an advanced search called "More search options"...choose the right one
  2. Be sure to check/uncheck the "Search This Forum Only" option...by default it's checked...so if your'e in the Introductions forum, searching for Omega Hour Vision there might not yield too many hits
  3. If one search string doesn't work...try more general (e.g. Omega...then Omega Deville...then Omega Deville Hour)
  4. Try different variants: Deville, De Ville, De Vile, etc
  5. Flip through a few of the return threads to see if there are keywords that make the post unique...and do another search on that keyword
  6. Using the "More search options" try searching only in the topic title
  7. Eventually you'll learn about certain key members and their posts (e.g. Lanikai) and if you search for "Macro" posts with Lanikai as the author, you'll get a specialized return

Hopefully these tips help.

Those tips were exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much! That will make my life a whole lot easier now!

It's a simple search engine...and doesn't handle multiple keywords very well. So, here are some simple rules:
  1. There is a simple search and an advanced search called "More search options"...choose the right one
  2. Be sure to check/uncheck the "Search This Forum Only" option...by default it's checked...so if your'e in the Introductions forum, searching for Omega Hour Vision there might not yield too many hits
  3. If one search string doesn't work...try more general (e.g. Omega...then Omega Deville...then Omega Deville Hour)
  4. Try different variants: Deville, De Ville, De Vile, etc
  5. Flip through a few of the return threads to see if there are keywords that make the post unique...and do another search on that keyword
  6. Using the "More search options" try searching only in the topic title
  7. Eventually you'll learn about certain key members and their posts (e.g. Lanikai) and if you search for "Macro" posts with Lanikai as the author, you'll get a specialized return

Hopefully these tips help.