When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP franken

millertime

Hi All..

So my continuing rep watch obsession, i've decided to build a Franken Omega SMP black..

I've got a Gen bond smp blue.. and last time i had it serviced they lent me a smp black loved it ever since so i'm making the best rep i can.!

Started by reading Francisco fab tutorial(big thanks)

Then got my 21j smp black and swapped the movment to a high beat DG 2813 28,8k even swapped the date wheel over.. bit tricky all done with screw drives , twezzers and the like .. no glue the date wheel stuff going on here. :D :D

Then i thought i know i'll get some super lume and re lume the dial and hands.. How hard can it be ... i've got pretty steady hands.!

mylumeday.jpg

Wrong

mylumenight.jpg

Really wrong..!!

So after messing my face up... off to the bay to find a gen dial... !!

dialcomp.jpg

And thats were the problems start.. well get worse..

The date window is in a different place on the gen dial..

The first pic is gen dial on top of rep. You can see the rep window it 2/3mm over to the right making lining up the date wheel impossible

windowprob.jpg

windowprob1.jpg

so now for the big ask.. Does anyone know where i can get a correct sized black date wheel to glue on top of the original one on the DG2813.??

I found this one on google.

http://watchpart.co.uk/valjoux-7750-date-r...ack-p-2121.html

And pic

possdial.jpg

But no idea if its the right diameter for the gen dial.??

Any advice would be super....

But not all bad news thought... my luming skills faired better with the hands.. (i think it had something to do with the slight recess on the hands made it much easier to keep it neat!!)

dialhands.jpg

Cheers .. MillerTime

Actually, if Im not mistaken - you're dial is for a quartz. Notice the gen dial doesnt have "chronometer".

Grab a swiss quartz movement (anywhere between $26-$52) and some gen hands from ofrei ($60) and you're fraken is all set to go.

You have a quartz dial as triplehd has already pointed out, but even if you had gotten the automatic version, I still think that the date window won't align. The date window position for a21J and ETA is different, at least in my experience. For that to work you would have to glue a datewheel overlay and position it properly so that the date can be seen through the date window.

Beautiful Omega btw, I'm now in two minds about whether I prefer the 2531 (Bond) or this 2254.

The date window on the DG will line up with the correct dial from an automatic (2254.50). You can either look for a quartz movement and build your franken that way, or you can look for the correct dial (it should say chronometer - and be sure to get the full size version, and not the mid-size). You will have to remove the dial feet though, as the ETA and DG are in different positions.

It's tough building a franken for the first time, isn't it? I'm in the process of building a franken 2531.80 right now (even scored a genuine 1120), but it's a tough balance between money spent (go too far and might as well buy a used gen), as well as sourcing the correct parts!

Good luck and don't let mistakes get ya down. Put the quartz dial back on E-bay and find yourself the correct dial.

The date window on the DG will line up with the correct dial from an automatic (2254.50). You can either look for a quartz movement and build your franken that way, or you can look for the correct dial (it should say chronometer - and be sure to get the full size version, and not the mid-size). You will have to remove the dial feet though, as the ETA and DG are in different positions.

It's tough building a franken for the first time, isn't it? I'm in the process of building a franken 2531.80 right now (even scored a genuine 1120), but it's a tough balance between money spent (go too far and might as well buy a used gen), as well as sourcing the correct parts!

Good luck and don't let mistakes get ya down. Put the quartz dial back on E-bay and find yourself the correct dial.

Thanks for the input guys... i was so excited to find a gen dial i didnt even notice it was a quartz one.. sh*t well $100 bucks down the drain, i would put it back on the bay but choped the feet off..!! If anyones interested... it does have fab lume.!

So the Gen Chronograph dial has the date window in the right place for my DG2813.??

Cheers Miller Time.

So the Gen Chronograph dial has the date window in the right place for my DG2813.??

Do you mean Chronometer? Chronograph is a different dial and movement.