When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The legendary POrikaa: an insight look!

Rolexman

Clear ball bearing grease available in every hardware store:

Example:

H386976.jpg

Rubber grease (for door rubbers) available in every car part store:

Example:

rubber_grease.jpg

Case back remover came in a whole watch repair kit of Ebay.

Yes for USD 9.99 including shipping a whole range of goodies for watch strap and caseback adjustments. Best money spent so far.

A toothpick shaved flat on 1 side (like a spatula) ^_^

This was an awesome how to.

I did this to my SMP today. Instead of bathroom caulk, i used a 2 part epoxy which sets up in 4 to 6 minutes and is totally dry in 20.

I will be taking my watch to get tested at my local jeweler tomorrow.

I can honestly say for a newb like me, this was easy and will be well worth it. :D

This was an awesome how to.

I did this to my SMP today. Instead of bathroom caulk, i used a 2 part epoxy which sets up in 4 to 6 minutes and is totally dry in 20.

I will be taking my watch to get tested at my local jeweler tomorrow.

I can honestly say for a newb like me, this was easy and will be well worth it. :D

Thanks for the feed-back. Glad my tutorial was of help ;)

Quick question. How do you get the inside of the crystal spotless? Ive got a polishing cloth, but still does not look spotless.

Well, getting the inside of the crystal spotless is THE hardest part of it all. I know members who almost lost their minds trying to get the dial and crystal dust and spot free :p

I use a fiber optic cloth which you can get with every optician (mostly they give it for free when you ask nice). I tried different fiber optic cloths but most of them still seem to give off very tiny particals. The fiber cloths which are used for reading glasses have the finest structure which gives the best result. First I use my breath to fog up the crystal from the inside and then I rub it nice and clean with the fiber optic coth. I check for dust and particals under a heavy spot light and on a black background (this way the mostly white dust specs can be seen best) before I decide to put the movement back in. It's trial and error.

Good luck!

Well, getting the inside of the crystal spotless is THE hardest part of it all. I know members who almost lost their minds trying to get the dial and crystal dust and spot free :p

Heh...ain't that the truth! :surrender:

Did this mod to my POrikaa over the weekend. First time i had ever taken a watch apart, and it was a piece of cake! So all you n00bs out there who are worried about doing this, don't sweat it.

Instead of bathroom rubber sealant, I used some JB Weld that I had lying around the house. Worked great, and it most definitely will never leak! The one tip I have to add is to be very delicate and precice when you are applying your putty/epoxy, and definitely mask off the area around the He valve to minimize your mess. I used toothpicks to apply the epoxy, and you really dont need much at all. Let it set up for about 18 hours, put everything back together...now i'm ready for a swim! :boat:

Thanks for the great walkthrough!

Heh...ain't that the truth! :surrender:

Did this mod to my POrikaa over the weekend. First time i had ever taken a watch apart, and it was a piece of cake!

Great job! This watch will give you more pleasure than any gen. That does feel good doesn

Really nice tutorial, first time I did something like this. I was wondering if someone tested the watch? How many meters can it go underwater?

Total noob, but if I want to dive with it to 30 metres, will it survive :D?

Really nice tutorial, first time I did something like this. I was wondering if someone tested the watch? How many meters can it go underwater?

Total noob, but if I want to dive with it to 30 metres, will it survive :D?

Mine tested to 5ATM which equals to aprox. 50 meters. So some leisure diving wouldn't be a problem. If the mod was done in the same way I don't see a reason why it should fail ;)

You could have yours tested or just take the chance after you've done the mod.

Mine tested to 5ATM which equals to aprox. 50 meters. So some leisure diving wouldn't be a problem. If the mod was done in the same way I don't see a reason why it should fail ;)

You could have yours tested or just take the chance after you've done the mod.

I am wondering where I could test this, I'm sure I did it the same way ;) even the Kit is the same ( van de Praxis :D!)

Leisure diving is something I want to use it for!

• 2 months later...

Perfect tutorial for a noob like me.. :rolleyes:

Wonder if I actually dare to give it a shot.. :blink: Anyway first thing.. need to get the proper tools for it.. where did you get the caseback remover and which grease did you use? :help:

//Z

Look in the main forum index ... there's a Watch Tools area and one of the RWG collectors for watch tools is BIRDMAN .. he has his own forum.