When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to get a valjoux 72? Building a 6263/5

A v72 will run $700-1000 on the bay. And it may still need to be serviced- add $300. And that is the cheapest game in town. You could pay retail, but that would be more money.

There's only two types of people buying v72's these days- honest watch collectors and Daytona builders. And the Daytona builders are driving the prices up and might out number the honest watch collectors!

Guest avitt
There's only two types of people buying v72's these days- honest watch collectors and Daytona builders...

Those two groups aren't necessarily mutually exclusive ;)

Those two groups aren't necessarily mutually exclusive ;)

Right you are T, I bought my first v72 with the idea in mind of building a Pre-Daytona. I've since decided to keep it as a collectible and have bought three others since then, two are for my collection and one as the donor for my project (still moving slowly). There is no doubt that the fact that Rolex used this movement in its watches has helped the popularity of the v72.

@ the playful eyes, one thing you might want to consider is going the route that gplracer has recently gone- he purchased a DW 6263 with the modified asian 7750 movement (rotor removed, manual wind, thinner caseback). This is a very viable option IMO, because you can buy this watch and have it serviced for the about the cost of a v72 alone. It has the assymetrical pushers and correct case. I saw a similar watch last week and was very impressed. Add a few gen parts- T-21 crystal, gen crown and tube, and you have a very good rep for a lot less than building a v72 rep. Here's the post:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/DW-6263-dial-question-t97103.html

Right you are T, I bought my first v72 with the idea in mind of building a Pre-Daytona. I've since decided to keep it as a collectible and have bought three others since then, two are for my collection and one as the donor for my project (still moving slowly). There is no doubt that the fact that Rolex used this movement in its watches has helped the popularity of the v72.

@ the playful eyes, one thing you might want to consider is going the route that gplracer has recently gone- he purchased a DW 6263 with the modified asian 7750 movement (rotor removed, manual wind, thinner caseback). This is a very viable option IMO, because you can buy this watch and have it serviced for the about the cost of a v72 alone. It has the assymetrical pushers and correct case. I saw a similar watch last week and was very impressed. Add a few gen parts- T-21 crystal, gen crown and tube, and you have a very good rep for a lot less than building a v72 rep. Here's the post:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/DW-6263-dial-question-t97103.html

Mine is waiting for a full movement service. I also have a gen crystal to be installed and a gen crown and after market tube as well. At a later date I would like to add a gen band as well. DW was great to deal with but plan on a full service to clean everything and get it in top notch shape. The dials on the V72s are a little better and of course the spacing of the sub dials is better but the difference is very small. Keep in mind that this is a rare watch. Not many people have ever seen one. Unlike the sub which is very popular.