When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Everyday watch

unkindone

I'm interested in a Ulysse Nardin MMDC.

I really love the look of the rose gold model....but.....

for everyday?

I know there have been topics on gold and everyday type use...how about rose gold; I assume its the same dealeo.

so, does anyone here wear a rep rose gold watch everyday casually? or is this more of a dress type watch?

thankies! :)

The HB was an excellent everyday watch since only the bezel was RG and not overpowering for a sports watch. I wore mine constantly most of the time for a year and the rose gold plating looks as good as the day I got it. Back to the OP, the plating nowadays on these reps does hold up pretty well on a daily use watch. Here's my 2 year old.

pinkhbb.jpg

No matter how heavy the "plating" is on the rep.. it will wear out with everyday wear..

especially if it's hot and you wrist sweats.. individuals are different in their acidic levels.. some more than others.. this is what will eat away at the plating.. if it were "wrapped" gold it would last longer..but plated gold .. IMO cannot be worn daily..

again.. especially in warm climates......

if you really like the UN .. then the ss would be much better for daily wear..

but the HBB that Omni points out is perfect due to the plating does not come in direct contact with your wrist..

unrosegold002.jpg

edit add:

Also .. note that some skins can be allergic to gold .. plated or solid .. when you start to sweat.. even ss can cause irritation at times.. ergo some cannot wear anything but "hypoallergenic" straps.. just for your fyi..

Yep, the're geting beter but I still think that a FG rose or yellow would wear thin in a reasonably short time. If you have acess to the gear you can allways retouch any thin spots but I'm not shure if the same can be said for RG as the colour depends so much on the mix of alloys used.

Col.

Yep, the're geting beter but I still think that a FG rose or yellow would wear thin in a reasonably short time. If you have acess to the gear you can allways retouch any thin spots but I'm not shure if the same can be said for RG as the colour depends so much on the mix of alloys used.

Col.

you would need the anoids.. the plating machine.. the chemicals to treat the ss so the plating will bond .. I used to plate the emblems and trim on Auto's .. believe me the liquid gold for plating is very expensive.. and don't even know about sourcing the RG alloy..

and when you "touch up" plating it is inconsistant in texture..

for all that trouble.. it's not really cost effective .. to say the least..

I have to agree with Lani, the HBB I have is just plated on the bezel and never contacted my wrist. And all aftermarket plating I've had done on my car emblems/trim always wore off, usually from wax & washing.

you would need the anoids.. the plating machine.. the chemicals to treat the ss so the plating will bond .. I used to plate the emblems and trim on Auto's .. believe me the liquid gold for plating is very expensive.. and don't even know about sourcing the RG alloy..

and when you "touch up" plating it is inconsistant in texture..

for all that trouble.. it's not really cost effective .. to say the least..

So there really is a difference between wrapped and plated huh? I noticed that Angus is selling the blue/gold submariner and there is a choice between gold wrapped and gold plated bracelet links for an additional 90 bucks. Anyone think it's worth it, or it would it be any sturdier with the wrapped links?

WR

So there really is a difference between wrapped and plated huh? I noticed that Angus is selling the blue/gold submariner and there is a choice between gold wrapped and gold plated bracelet links for an additional 90 bucks. Anyone think it's worth it, or it would it be any sturdier with the wrapped links?

WR

Always go with the wrapped if you are planning on wearing it often..