When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steve McQueen’s Rolex, Ref. 5512

ShawnBeever

Tragic. Here's my 5512. I still have the original bezel insert, but it's a little fragile, so I put the replacement insert on it. It's a 1961. The original gilt dial is long gone, but the replacement is from the late 60's, I'm guessing.

5512Mine.jpg

nice, but it looks like a brand new RSC dial/hands. if so, what a travesty. OTOH, it looks like some genuine McQueen cheese around the bezel! someday you could clone him from those bits!

While it would be nice if it had the original dial, I don’t think it will have much of an effect on the value.

I know I would be well pleased to own it and would not worry about the dial, unfortunately it will be brought and put in a safe somewhere never to see the light of day again.

I read the McQueen biography a while back and thought he had given the watch to his son just before he died... Maybe it was a different watch - although in all the photos of him later in life he is wearing a 5512. It's been almost 30 years, I would want some form of documentation if I was forking over the cash for that one.