When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Genuine SMP Bond (2541)

b16a2

Starting to make a real thing of these incredible articles, huh J? I think its a great touch that you use the same presenting format for all of your review pieces too.

I think theres a real difference in reading your review of the PO and this watch. You really convey your interest in the bond theme and love of this model and series 100% with this one.

I'm not sure theres anything you havn't covered in this review; I'd second that these bracelets are pretty incredible, the omega bracelets definately feel like something of extreme quality for sure. They actually feel smoother than the Breitling bracelets too I've found.

I am surprised you've purchased a quartz though, it'll be interesting to reflect on how you feel about this in time!

Congrats on your purchase, like always - we say theres nothing like the gen. Can't speak from experience as you know but you convey the experience well enough for me to enjoy it through a 3rd party ;)

Thanks again for the great read.

P.s. Just how exactly your managing a lume shot of that quality with your N95 I'm not quite sure.

@ Ammandel - Thanks :) I really like the Bond SMP. It sits so perfectly on the wrist, and whereas my review of the PO was completed on that honeymoon period, this review comes from a genuinely long period of love for this particular model, and it's history.

I didn't think I'd like the quartz after sending the money, but now it's on my wrist, I honestly can't tell the difference. It is slightly lighter, and there is a tick, but I don't glance at it long enough to notice the tick. I thought I might dislike it, but I am really surprised at how little I am bothered by it being quartz.

As for the lume shot....this review was completed with my sister's point and shoot. She is at work, so I thought I'd take the privilege and borrow it for a few hours :) I find the point and shoot much better for the reviews as you can get really close to the watch, and they take really good lume shots too!

@Bytor - The 2531's crop up a lot at the moment, the trouble I had was finding an example that was in almost pristine condition, of the later years (05 ownwards) and at a price that I thought was fair.

I certainly have my eyes peeled for you, and if one does appear Il shoot you a PM.

@Bytor - The 2531's crop up a lot at the moment, the trouble I had was finding an example that was in almost pristine condition, of the later years (05 ownwards) and at a price that I thought was fair.

I certainly have my eyes peeled for you, and if one does appear Il shoot you a PM.

Thanks man. I know they're available but I've been too busy to follow the sales forums.

Excellent review, I've owned one of these for 12 years now and it is still in excellent condition. This is a testament to the durability of this watch as I have worn it in some pretty extreme enviroments with my work, the crystal is still absolutely perfect, without a mark on it. Sometimes it feels kinda small compared to the recent fashion of big (Some massive!) watches. Next to my maxi-Planet Ocean it looks tiny.

This was the first "proper" watch i bought and to this day I have yet to find another watch that is as comfortable to wear. My only ocmplaint is the bracelet has lost the contrast between the matt and shiny bits on the links; they are all super shiny now! i know this is fixable with a little bit of time and effort!

Nice to finally see the SMP back on your wrist again J :) I must admit I'm suprised that you went for the quartz, they're usually bashed here :lol: but I understand your reasoning completely, especially if you got it for a really good price :D

I just received a rep SMP (not from the dealer we discussed J) and it made me realise how much better the gen is compared to the rep. The dial was nice, but I wasn't impressed at all with the insert, it has a submariner-type pearl, and the quality of the bracelet is nowhere close to the gen. I would say that if you really like this model, going gen is the only option :D

My friend, great writing, it's very refreshing to read a gen review. At the gen forum is hard to find really good reviews as those in RWG and RG.

Thanks for your time.

And don't even think on selling this piece, ever. :) Quartz or Auto, the SMP design is awesome.

Enjoy it.

Excellent review, I've owned one of these for 12 years now and it is still in excellent condition. This is a testament to the durability of this watch as I have worn it in some pretty extreme enviroments with my work, the crystal is still absolutely perfect, without a mark on it. Sometimes it feels kinda small compared to the recent fashion of big (Some massive!) watches. Next to my maxi-Planet Ocean it looks tiny.

Definitely, they make great daily wearers! Don't worry, fashions change, but legends don't.....the 41mm divers will have their day again :)

Nice to finally see the SMP back on your wrist again J :) I must admit I'm suprised that you went for the quartz, they're usually bashed here :lol: but I understand your reasoning completely, especially if you got it for a really good price :D

I just received a rep SMP (not from the dealer we discussed J) and it made me realise how much better the gen is compared to the rep. The dial was nice, but I wasn't impressed at all with the insert, it has a submariner-type pearl, and the quality of the bracelet is nowhere close to the gen. I would say that if you really like this model, going gen is the only option :D

I am so glad to have one back on my wrist, it felt like there was a massive void in my watch 'collection'. I completely agree that the gen is the best option. It is a bit more than the reps, but for the price of 3 high ends reps, a gen can be bought. So it's certainly not unattainable, it's just the psychology of lumping $1200US into one watch I guess (if you go the auto route)

My friend, great writing, it's very refreshing to read a gen review. At the gen forum is hard to find really good reviews as those in RWG and RG.

And don't even think on selling this piece, ever. :) Quartz or Auto, the SMP design is awesome.

Thank you :) I agree, it would be nice to read more genuine reviews. There are a lot of genuine owners here, and a lot of great review writers....to combine the two would be great. Yes it's a rep forum, but we're all passionate about watches whether they're real or not :)

And don't worry A, this ones staying in my drawer or on my wrist :)

Here's a few pics I took today;

24052009510.jpg

24052009511.jpg

We've all heard of the frogmariner....how about a frogmaster?

:)

24052009515.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Mate,

I see you have found yourself a nice seamaster. She looks great, I hope you will wear her well. You're ex. PO 45mm shines at me almost every day.

Br. JHM

Hey, yes I got one in the end. Hope you're enjoying the PO :)

for me it was an eye opener when i found out that quartz atches also need servicing. did you find out yet how much it runs to service this movement? being 10+ years old it is probably due for overhaul.

SMP's are great, always liked them. thanks for great review!

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for a great review :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It is a truly beautiful watch and had the fortune of trying on the quartz version on at Goldsmiths at the weekend,the saleswoman called it "a classic gentlemans watch"..i couldnt agree more!

Just waiting for my rep version to arrive but got a funny feeling this could well be the first gen im going to own :Jumpy: