When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gen looking rep question

stretchrunner

Why is it so difficult to get a 2.5 mag and yet you can not have the etched coronet at the 6:00 position.

Clark crystal....???? can someone not etch these clark crystals as they do the ones with 1.5 mag???

this is confusing to me as to why you can either have this but not that...since rolex has both feature,why not the reps come as gen as possible????

Because the reps are not gens. What you can do is replace the cyclops.

That is my point why go thru the hassle and just offer the the whole shabang instead of having a time consuming project.

I would much rather pay to have it done than buy a watch and then have to rebuild....or is that the fun of it all????

First, the etched crown on a gen Rolex is NOT visible to the naked eye. Certainly with magnification, it can be seen- sometimes even in photos which are magnified. So a rep etched crown which is visible to the naked eye- is it s good thing? Most people think not. That's why people buy the Clark's crystal w/o the etched crown.

As for mag, if you buy a watch w/ 1.5 mag, it's a problem. Typically, these are the inexpensive CN reps. As Fakey says, you can replace the cyclops. Or maybe check out the rep a little closer before you buy it. Watches like noobs are said to have 2.3 mag- at that point it's best to quit obsessing. MBW's can have 3.0 mag- oops over magged. But I promise you Rolex themselves doesn't worry about it as much as the people here on the rep forums do. But then again, Rolex can say who cares, it's 100% gen Rolex! And most people looking at your watch aren't going to notice date mag anyway.

The gen cornet is actually burned into the middle of the crystal and not of top of the crystal like the reps are. That is why they are hard to see unless you are really looking for them. Rolex uses a special laser to burn it into the middle of the crystal.

I would just go for one with the correct mag w/o the cornet.

Some of the stuff Rolex does never ceases to amaze me. I was at an AD and saw a used Sub they had. A few years old. The cylcops on it was distinctively different from the new one. Even they are not consistent.

Edited by fakemaster

Thanks , need to hear the opinion of others , I was just wondering..i have a rep but it is hard to see you can see it with the naked eye BUT only under close

scrutinizing and if it is off my wrist and you tilt it this way and that...still difficult...true I never look at others or do I care even the mag is no big deal to me anyway.

I was just curious as to why some here have it on the models and some do not.... Thanks