When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Sub Lv With Incorrect Font Spacing(?)...confusing...

Alextor

Hello guys,

We have been discussing the differences on LV's vs the less sexy sub cousins...one of them was that the spacing between the words OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE on the dial is wider than with regular subs... :g:

As I was checking the world largest knick-knack and crap storage facility (eBay) I found one LV being sold by a large power seller with 100 % positive feedback.... The watch comes with box and papers and looks good to my eye... crown guards and crown fine, bezel and pearl fine...but the printing in the dial...has oyster perpetual date with no big spaces in between :black_eye: ...this is the pic of the watch...

101496-26200.jpg

and the link to the bay... LV Auction

I know this belongs to the Anal Retentive Deparment of the University of New [censored]...but if this is indeed a genuine LV ...well, maybe our reps are more accurate than expected... Does anyone know if Rolex changed the dial printing mid-production ? or this is a franken?

Cheers :drunk:

Alex

Mmmm... :g: what I meant though was the spacing between the words Oyster Perpetual Date under the coronet or Rolex logo...in all gen LV's I've seen there is a wider space between those words...but not on this one...that's why I was wondering if both dial versions can be seen on genuine LV's...

The 'swiss made' font size and placement looks OK to me...

Still wondering :g: (those dials are SO hard to find for modding :black_eye: )

Here's a picture of the gen I keep on seeing around...

102667-25876.jpg

Alex

Not so fast.

I was visiting a certain Swiss site and found this ...

102667-25877.jpg

I'm now convinced there are 2 different genuine LV dial variations.

3 tick dial

5 tick dial

Also, 2 different genuine LV bezel variations.

106148-25020.jpg

From TZ this morning:

I once found this here on the German Rolex forum where a member posted his two LVs with a darker and a lighter green bezel:

Also illustrated here is the difference in bezelfont, the left has a point 4, the right has the flat 4.

The watch on the right must be the earlier version, as you can see the Green Sub on the left has the "D" serial tag.

Also "swiss made" on the dial is wider spaced on the right than the one on the left. I don't know if this makes any difference but it is a difference.

Edited by Linder

they do that on purpose - that way the rep manufactuers can't sue for copywrite infringment. Rollie makes them so close, but leaves those little flaws as a way out.

Or it could mean, maybe we scrutinize this stuff too much sometimes, as it seems even Rollie doesn't have a hard fast "right and wrong" :)