When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Purtuguese Chrono - Gen or Rep?

Stukov

Hi!

Yesterday I noticed a watch on a man's wrist in a park. As I moved closer I recognised a nice IWC Portuguiser Chrono ( I could read the IWS Schaffhausen sign on the dial, and saw the two subdials beneath each other) . In a steel case, with a bit darker than white dial, and light brown leather strap. It looked nice, but something was not perfect to me. The guy was a stranger, so I did not walked to him and asked, hey! is it rep or gen?

At home I browsed the net after the IWC Portu chrone.

It exists in 41mm case size, and I could find one with ligt brown croc strap, but dark brown. The watch on the wrist looked way bigger than 41mm (I have a 42mm Omega SPM GMT - I have thin wrist but it fits me), although the man has a bit thick wrist.

So: did or do an IWC Portu chrono exist in a size bigger than 41mm? Does light brown croc strap exist in portu chrono line?

My other concern is that in my town ther is no AD IWC dealer. (he could have bought it anywhere else in the world of course)

Unfortunately I have no pics of what I saw.

But here is the gen: iwccauto.jpg

Well as for the size, the 3714 does wear bigger than an SMP due to the design of the watch. The dial goes right to the outside of the watch, whereas the bezel on the SMp makes the dial smaller, and therefore the overall appearance of the SMP looks smaller.

Onto the colour.....They only light coloured dial on the portuguese is the white. there is a nice Ardoise dial, but it is more silvery/grey in colour, and the case is in white gold finish. Many people also change the straps on their IWC's for other IWC or even aftermarket straps, so just because it's not OEM doesn't neessarily mean it wasn't a real Portuguese.....if you seem him againa, see if you can spark a converation about it :)

As for whether it is real or not.....even the replica's, when on the wrist are completely indistiguishable from the genuine. For it to look odd, and not right, it would have had to have been a quartz replica, or a really bad asian 21j based one.

the 3714 wears larger on the wrist because of the thinner bezel. there's a cream colored dial as well as some of the other ones mentioned. you can easily purchase a light brown croc strap from IWC, so that is not a reliable differentiator.

the 3714 rep on the wrist still carries enormous presence and is indistinguishable from gen. you would need to hold it close-up to see any tells at all.