When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experts' Chime Needed : Tudor Case Specifications ?

Pre V

Hi Ubi, Lani, Freddy and all,

I was just online researching on Tudor case specifications and confusion seems to be compounded by the minute.

So I was about to splash a "supposed obscene" amount on a Tudor 7032/0 from Phong.

However, I had to be sure what accurate engravings before proceeding so do need your help here.

According to this Japanese website (http://masasima.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mywatch/rolexspec.htm), as seen in the picture below: The model number is engraved on the case --- ok this is a given.

rolexmodel.jpg

However, during a communication with Phong, he specifically specified that I could opt for a 7031/1 or 7032/1 engraving on the case.

Now, if I am not wrong, there's no such referencing in the context of Tudor's factory specification spreadsheet.

As quoted from this website (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=671671) from a genuine Monte Carlo owner of 3, he mentioned:

Some more info on Monte Carlo that I have posted earlier ....

1st generation (left 7032/0)

Ref No. : 7031/0 (fixed bezel) and 7032/0 (steel bezel)

Production Year ~ early 1970's

S/N ~ likely 75xxxx to 76xxxx

Movement : valjoux 7734 manual

2nd generation (middle 7169/0)

Ref No. : 7149/0 (fixed bezel), 7159/0 (steel bezel), 7169/0 (rotable bezel)

Production Year ~ early to mid/late 70's

S/N ~ likely 77xxxx to 84xxxx

Movement : valjoux 234 manual

3rd generation (right 94300)

Ref No. : 94200 (or 9420/0) (fixed bezel), 94300 (or 9430/0) (steel bezel), 94210 (or 9421/0) (rotable bezel)

Production Year ~ mid/late 70's to late 80's

S/N ~ likely 88xxxx to 26xxxx

Movement : valjoux 7750 automatic

And as stated on this website: http://masasima.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mywatch/rolexspec.htm , there is clearly no specification of 7031/1 or 7032/1 as a "Model Reference".

So my question is: Shouldn't the engraving be 7032/0 instead of 7032/1?

That said, I have asked Phong if he was able to source for a more accurate Monte Carlo Steel bezel with Deeper and Bolder ink-engravings to bring this Monte Carlo historically closer to the gen.

Bracelet: As seen on many websites (http://www.sheartime.com/new/st004), the genuine 7032/0 did not come with a rivetted bracelet, and instead a 78360R (sometimes 9315) serie Single Lock with 588 endlinks (sometimes 9315) . To be more historically correct, shouldn't the bracelet with the Monte Carlo come with a standard oyster bracelet? Always love the rivetted though... :)

Will keep all posted.

Thanks in advance for your input. Somehow, I reckon an engraving of 7032/0 should be more accurate....or is it not?

Thanks indy and Ubi!

That was what I thought! :) Appreciate the reiteration of this fact.

Yeah I am going back and forth with him these days....hopefully we can get this sorted out really soon as I really wanna strap an MC really soon.

indy: yes I have to make sure that Phong provides the gen 7734 movement and I am sure that's the movement he provides on his offerings.

On the same train of thoughts, Yuki seems to be providing the 7031 and 7032 cases, alongside with the aftermarket dials....wrong yes...the baseplates are a tat too far away from the minute markers, and that's a pure giveaway. Well, we are all after perfection.

Just missed out an auction on a 7032/0 yesterday and I am beating myself over it. Called the dealer in HK and he wanted $ 16000 usd at least. Wonder if he did sell to the winner abeit it ended at $ 15656. I am sure he would.

Was about to take a flight out to HK to pick up the watch directly...yes I am that crazy at this point in time to do so....however, I am still unable to liquidate my gen pams...so it's a no-go for me at the moment.

So I have to resign to the fate that eventually, yes --- that a 7032 will find me instead of vice-versa. That 7032 was really in good shape, one that I will adorn on my wrists for a long time to come....

Monte Carlo fever...Snowflake 1978 Blue Dial this seller has too....Tudors, there can never be too many in your collection, right Ubi? :)

Alrighty, I reckon I will stick with a Franken 7032 for now. Hopefully I can acquire a Steel bezel that will enhance this piece during this period of "holding out - waiting time for a gen".

Cheerios and muchos gracias!