When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen. bezel on POrikaa

kramerica2

So, I know it seems quite stupid to some of you, and at first it seemed stupid to me, but the more I look at my watch, the more I want to purchase the gen. bezel (for 228$). I said before, that the differences between the gen. and the PO, are very subtle, and they are. Except the pearl. I can spot the flaws on the pearl from 5 ft. away, and just for the peace of mind, I really want to replace it. Now, unfortunately, replacing only the bezel insert isn't an option, since the pearl is part of the bezel, and the insert has only a hole. I really don't mind paying the 228$ for this thing, but only if I can be certain that I can't take the rep bezel out and that the gen. bezel would fit the rep case.

Can anybody help me on the subject?

There's no need to buy a gen bezel. Just remove the movement, popp out the crystal with your thumb and remove the insert from the back. You could also remove the pearl and remove the insert from the front (as the pearl isn't part of the bezel... that only applies to the UPO). It's just glued in the insert so you could also try to pry it out from the front with a needle or jewelers screwdriver. You'll probably mess up the insert and pearl but if you're gonna replace it anyway it doesn't matter. Buy a good after-market insert, grind it if needed to get a good fit and glue it in.

Good luck!

There's no need to buy a gen bezel. Just remove the movement, popp out the crystal with your thumb and remove the insert from the back. You could also remove the pearl and remove the insert from the front (as the pearl isn't part of the bezel... that only applies to the UPO). It's just glued in the insert so you could also try to pry it out from the front with a needle or jewelers screwdriver. You'll probably mess up the insert and pearl but if you're gonna replace it anyway it doesn't matter. Buy a good after-market insert, grind it if needed to get a good fit and glue it in.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot..

One question though, which way should I pop the crystal out, inwards towards where the movement was, or outward towards the bezel?

Thanks again...

UPDATE: I didn't manage to pop the crystal out, no matter what direction I've tried, so I just soaked the watch (without the movement of course) in boiling water, took the pearl out and with a lot of force, popped the insert right out. The insert, of course is damaged, but like you said, it doesn't matter. Thanks a lot.. I'll update after I'll get the new insert.

UPDATE: I didn't manage to pop the crystal out, no matter what direction I've tried, so I just soaked the watch (without the movement of course) in boiling water, took the pearl out and with a lot of force, popped the insert right out. The insert, of course is damaged, but like you said, it doesn't matter. Thanks a lot.. I'll update after I'll get the new insert.

:lol: Glad you managed to get the insert out. Keep us posted...

The crystal always popps out outwards, towards the bezel. It indeed requires quite some pressure resulting in a sore thumb afterwards ^_^

:lol: Glad you managed to get the insert out. Keep us posted...

The crystal always popps out outwards, towards the bezel. It indeed requires quite some pressure resulting in a sore thumb afterwards ^_^

This would probably take some time since the seller at the bay is away until June 13th (if you another good one, I'd be happy to know)... Lucky I've dedicated this watch to modding and various experiments.... I have another identical watch on my wrist.

BTW, I have a feeling that the after market insert would be too small. I've measured the rep bezel, and it's about 1mm bigger than the gen. But I'll have to wait and find out...

Edited by kramerica2

BTW, I have a feeling that the after market insert would be too small. I've measured the rep bezel, and it's about 1mm bigger than the gen. But I'll have to wait and find out...

The rep is exactly:

39.14mm outer diameter and 31.49mm inner diameter

The rep is exactly:

39.14mm outer diameter and 31.49mm inner diameter

By "rep" you mean the Narikaa rep correct? I had and compared the Narikaa PO with the 4th gen PO and came out with the same measurements. The Narikaa rep is definitely slightly larger in the face (dial and crystal). The Narikaa bezel like you said is about 31.5mm & 39mm whereas the 4th gen bezel is 31mm & 38mm. If the rep parts (and gen parts) are made to fit the 4th gen PO, then it may be tough getting these parts to direct swap on the Narikaa PO. In fact, I think this size quirk may be why the hands look short on the Narikaa PO. It's not that the hands are shorter than the standard rep PO hands, I think the dial and indices are just a tad bigger which stretches them out farther away from the tip of the hands (if that makes sense).