When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new 1655 Steve McQueen

redwatch

Hi guys. Got back from vacation and this morning on my desk was my newly acquired 1655 Explorer II Steve McQueen. I just love this piece. The vintage look of this watch is spectacular and the (I believe) Nato watch strap just sets this watch off nicely.

Here's some pics:

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

What an incredible piece. I agree that the NATO sets is off very nicely. Looks like a Gen to me too!

Wear it well and in good health.

Is it an MBW?

These are the specs from the seller:

"Josh case with drilled lugholes, gen Omega flightmaster hands, serviced Swiss eta 2836-2 with GMT module, phong dial, open 6 and 9 date wheel and shaved gen 1680 crystal (for better magnification and look)."

Thanks John. I have been searching the web obsessing over photos of Gen 1971 - 1973 1655's and I just can't find anything wrong with this one. It looks absolutely fantastic!

Sorry to be a party pooper, but the dial....

I'd seriously think about getting it relumed and having those tell-tale hour indices extended to the edge of the dial.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but the dial....

I'd seriously think about getting it relumed and having those tell-tale hour indices extended to the edge of the dial.

I was thinking about the lume actually. The hands are Gen Omega Flightmaster hands and they really glow nicely. The rest of the dial is pretty faint in comparison.

As for the hour indices, I don't know if extending them would work out too well. They seem to be the right overall size, just in the wrong spot. Is it even possible to move them outwards at all?

Here is a good shot from the web for a gen 1655. Compared to mine, as I stated, the hour indices seem to be the same size, just pushed out to the edge of the dial.

oh2-straigth-hand.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

I was thinking about the lume actually. The hands are Gen Omega Flightmaster hands and they really glow nicely. The rest of the dial is pretty faint in comparison.

As for the hour indices, I don't know if extending them would work out too well. They seem to be the right overall size, just in the wrong spot. Is it even possible to move them outwards at all?

Here is a good shot from the web for a gen 1655. Compared to mine, as I stated, the hour indices seem to be the same size, just pushed out to the edge of the dial.

Congrats Redwatch, you own a cult classic! I love the straight seconds hand.

I think DBR means having a re-dial done, not a touch up so to speak. Your best bet if the dial really bothers you is a custom dial by Michael Young

(CWP), I believe Polexpete did this with his Orange Hand dial with nice results. It seems most aftermarket 1655 dials are screened with the indices too far inward, add to that the fact that the reps all have dial openings larger than the gen spec.

I lucked out with my supposed MBW dial since the indices nearly touched the rehaut, so some of the indices only had to be touched up a hair to look "right".

DSCN4548c.jpg

Thanks TooMuch! I will look into that. To be honest, it really doesn't bother me that much, but I am sure in time I will want to mod this one.

If anyone has any other thoughts about what could be done to the watch to make it that much better, your input is greatly appreciated!!! :drinks:

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I think it looks good.

I have a similar one which I would wear more if it kept better time.

But that is another issue independent of the appearance.

To paraphrase Duke Ellington, if it looks good, it is good. Don't worry about the perfectionists. Someday they will end up with a gen, and not like it, and that will be that!

I think we need to post some gen Rolexes as reps here and see what the modders think. Could be weeks of work.

Carl