When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Identical replacement watches...

TeeJay

A comment I made the other day got me to thinking about this, and I just wondered what other people's opinions were on buying an identical model watch, to replace one which has been broken/lost/sold/stolen etc. Having sold off the vast majority of my collection, I was contemplating when I am in the financial position to start re-building the collection, and if I would simply try out some new watches which I never had previously, or, would there be a few watches where I'd actually buy 1:1 replacements... The problem, is that some of the watches, like my SMP and Planet Ocean, had sentimental value beyond the watch itself. If I were to buy a new SMP, I know it wouldn't be the same watch, but would I be able to accept it as a new watch, or would I think of it as a 'pretender to the throne', so to speak... I read that one person sold a watch, bought an identical (in terms of model) replacement, but sold it within days, due to it not being the original, only to eventually find another, which, due to being serviced at the same time as their original watch, was essentially a carbon copy/twin of the original.

Some of my former collection, having seen how my tastes have fluctuated, but also knowing how I tend to stick to one watch, even if there are options, I don't think I would buy, as I can't see them getting the wrist time anymore. There are a few 'new' watches which I'm interested in checking out... The PP Nautilus (and possibly the PP Aquanaut), the AP Safari, and the IWC Aquatimer, none of which being watches I've had (or even held) before, but, there are a few ghosts from the old collection, such as the SMP and the Planet Ocean, that I think 'would I?'... I know I still like them and appreciate them as watches, but, would I be able to actually accept it, or not...? Who knows...

Anyway, enough waffle from me, I'd love to hear your stories and opinions on the matter :)

While one doesn't really replace the other... Kind of along the same theme...

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7568.jpg

Also, lots of multiple MBW 1665, 1680, MBK Nautilus, DW 6263/5, TW Best 16610, WM9 16622, 16610... Dunno why, but buying, selling and re-buying seems to be a common practice for me...

Interesting perspective, as, admittedly, from an external viewpoint, I've always viewed your Daytonas as a complementary pair, rather than competitive siblings...

With regards to the selling, and re-buying, do you think that might be because you felt that the 'replacement never really 'filled the shoes' of the original, so chose to re-sell the multiple again?

I have to admit, I think I've reached the point in my collecting where I'm prefering to stick with something I've built, over something bought 'out of the box', as, even though my Project Sub looks like a dog's dinner, given I've replaced/modified/repaired just about every part, I feel like it is really 'my watch', rather than simply 'the watch I bought myself'... Of course, planned upgrades in the future, will hopefully make it more 'easy on the eye' for polite society :D

You know... It's kinda hard for me to say why my behavior is such. With my perception in building, I think a lot of my redundant purchasing comes from a desire to achieve certain kinds of results. In some cases, I buy a watch, build it up and then sell only to try again with a different approach to the same watch. Some instances, I'd sell a watch that had been a long term project of mine and the resulting vacancy of that piece ends up having a greater impact of loss than expected. So, I buy another. Sometimes... I just want more than one. Maybe that is my hoarder's mentality.

Lately, I've been learning to just let go. And in the process, I've found that some of my spares and duplicate parts end up being a great help to others. So, my hoarding of parts actually works out to be a benefit of sorts :)

You know... It's kinda hard for me to say why my behavior is such. With my perception in building, I think a lot of my redundant purchasing comes from a desire to achieve certain kinds of results. In some cases, I buy a watch, build it up and then sell only to try again with a different approach to the same watch. Some instances, I'd sell a watch that had been a long term project of mine and the resulting vacancy of that piece ends up having a greater impact of loss than expected. So, I buy another. Sometimes... I just want more than one. Maybe that is my hoarder's mentality.

Lately, I've been learning to just let go. And in the process, I've found that some of my spares and duplicate parts end up being a great help to others. So, my hoarding of parts actually works out to be a benefit of sorts :)

Ahh, that makes sense, after all, if you need to buy a certain watch to get a particular piece for a build, then if you ever need that piece again, you need to buy the watch to get it... I know what you mean about learning to let go. It was RobbieG's thread on 'if you only had one watch' which really made me mentally 'spring clean' my collection. Of course, I needed to sell what I needed to sell, but, having done the 'mental clean out' first, it wasn't as hard as it might've been. As for spares, I think you're quite right, in that what's left over from a build might always be useful to someone else :)

Being a rolex fan, I have several models with different dial, variations, versions, etc. I have also been in the same boat as you and am currently pondering the same idea. I have a yachtmaster that stopped working. I love the watch and would like one of the updated models, maybe from WM9. Two things I am having trouble with are: 1. Can't see myself buying the same version as there are others that are more accurate now, 2. Can't justify spending 3 times what the original watch cost on the same model, 3. there are so many other new watches I want to buy but I really like the yachtie.

I think there are several models that will always be in my collection, whether i lose them, break them and have to replace them. That is one of the perks of collecting reps. It is much easier to replace a $300 watch than a $6,000 watch.

My advice for you would be to figure out which models will get the most wrist time and have one or two core pieces that you can't live without. Then try out some of the new models. I have to say the quality of some of the new watches like AP and UN are absolutely amazing.

Being a rolex fan, I have several models with different dial, variations, versions, etc. I have also been in the same boat as you and am currently pondering the same idea. I have a yachtmaster that stopped working. I love the watch and would like one of the updated models, maybe from WM9. Two things I am having trouble with are: 1. Can't see myself buying the same version as there are others that are more accurate now, 2. Can't justify spending 3 times what the original watch cost on the same model, 3. there are so many other new watches I want to buy but I really like the yachtie.

I think there are several models that will always be in my collection, whether i lose them, break them and have to replace them. That is one of the perks of collecting reps. It is much easier to replace a $300 watch than a $6,000 watch.

My advice for you would be to figure out which models will get the most wrist time and have one or two core pieces that you can't live without. Then try out some of the new models. I have to say the quality of some of the new watches like AP and UN are absolutely amazing.

THanks for the input :) I can totally understand having variations on a theme (maybe not to the extend of that guy who had about fifty subs in his case :D ) after all, sometimes it's the little differences which make all the difference :) I can totally see your point about the Yacht-Master, because the options are conflicting, but you're absolutely right, in that it's a really nice watch :) Personally, I'd suggest going for the newer version, and looking at the cost as being an 'upgrade', rather than an outright 'replacement'... I know what you mean about having a few particular pieces which have to be in the collection, such as the SMP, but, my only concern, is, given the sentimental value of my first, I don't think I'd give a new one a fair chance... I think trying some new models might be the best way to go :) Given that my own Yacht-Master is now in pieces, I could certainly be tempted to get a UN MMD when a decent rep becomes available, and at least I wouldn't have to worry about the "Is that Rolex a fake?!" question :lol:

I say go for some new ones as well... Step out of the comfort zone and try something different ^_^

I think that's what I'll do :) If I don't like anything new I buy, I can always sell it :) I guess likewise, if I were to try and replace a watch, and not bond with it, then it could likewise go up for sale :) I think for the moment, I'll stick with my project plans, that way once it's done, if I do feel the need for any new watches, then I can always get some new blood into the collection, or, if I feel happy to stick with the one which I build, then no need to spend out any extra on the new ones :)

Thanks for the feedback, amigos :drinks:B)