When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rubber ball for opening Case Back

P_Diddy

Guys,

All these friction tools, only work on casebacks that are pretty loose to start with.

If a caseback has been tightened with a proper tool, you will never undo it with any friction style tool.

I open maybe 10 - 15 screw backs each day, and don't even waste my time with the friction tools.

My first choice is a crab claw, and if it either doesn't fit, or won't open the back, then some serious gear needs to be used.

This friction tool thing, is almost a myth....go and talk to any serious watchsmith, and most won't even have heard of these things! I was talking to a master watchmaker a couple of days ago, and made reference to these, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Seriously, these things are toys, when it comes to a "sealed" case back!

My 0.02c FWIW.

O/S

PS, And duct tape falls into the same category!

will a crab claw open both Rolex and Omega case backs?

how much is the cheapest crab claw?

thanks

Guys,

All these friction tools, only work on casebacks that are pretty loose to start with.

If a caseback has been tightened with a proper tool, you will never undo it with any friction style tool.

I open maybe 10 - 15 screw backs each day, and don't even waste my time with the friction tools.

My first choice is a crab claw, and if it either doesn't fit, or won't open the back, then some serious gear needs to be used.

This friction tool thing, is almost a myth....go and talk to any serious watchsmith, and most won't even have heard of these things! I was talking to a master watchmaker a couple of days ago, and made reference to these, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

My 0.02c FWIW.

O/S

Guys,

[....]

This friction tool thing, is almost a myth....

Ditto. However, rubber balls (& similar devices) can be useful because they allow a screw-on caseback to be r&r'd quickly & easily for testing purposes. But I cannot imagine any professional returning a (repaired) watch to a customer with the caseback 'tightened' with a rubber ball.

Guys,

My 0.02c FWIW.

O/S

I'm with the big guy on this one, always best to try get the proper tools for it rather than waste a load of energy, good swearwords and chaffed knuckles only to find it still didn't work. If you look on ebay bud, they have loads of watch tools on there, you can buy a boxset that isn't too expensive and it comes with all the fitments you need for pretty much any watch on the market.

Hope you find what you need mate!!

Sixx :bones:

Ditto. However, rubber balls (& similar devices) can be useful because they allow a screw-on caseback to be r&r'd quickly & easily for testing purposes. But I cannot imagine any professional returning a (repaired) watch to a customer with the caseback 'tightened' with a rubber ball.

That is so true... ;)

will a crab claw open both Rolex and Omega case backs?

how much is the cheapest crab claw?

thanks

No, to open (some) Omega & (most) Rx other tools are needed, and cannot be bought for low prices..... no matter what you are otherwise told. The crab claw can be had for around $10 from memory, although there are high and low quality versions of it as well.

O/S