When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello from Chicago area

I know- not as exotic as some of the other locations, but "Hello" from Chicago nonetheless. http://image.rwg.cc/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to diving in, having found this group after a search for reps turned up the archived old group's discussions. I was excited at the prospect of this trove of knowledge here and that fact that there were people out there modding their reps! Too cool.

I suspect like a lot of others, I got interested in reps because of an interest in the Rolex, without the funds for a genny. I remember twenty years ago, on the verge of graduation, looking at a SeaDweller at a local jeweler, thinking "When I'm working..." I still am waiting, and with kids, a mortgage on a home and a business property, etc the discretionary funds are still not there, but the want still is.

I am a replica virgin- save for a brief dalliance with a really awful gold President a college friend gave me. Its brassing came off in a month, and it's quartz movement was junk, but it fooled a few teachers, whose eyes were fixed on it during an after-class discussion.

Like I said, my first real love was a Rolex diver, and a recent reviewing of the Connery Bond movies renewed my love. Now I'm in pursuit of a replica Bond Submariner, dateless and crown gaurd-less. I found a pretty good looking rep on a Chinese site that seemed pretty well done-other than the gushing testimonials on the site that were riddled with laughably bad broken English. I hesitated before I gave any CC number, and decided to investigate further.

And that's how I'm here. The site I looked at (flyingzg.com) could be fine, but who knows. It seems as though there are quite a few "matches" made here on the site, and that seems a pretty good way to go. In any case, I'm looking forward to some reading, and hopefully the chance to contribute.

Welcome to the forum and I would certainly say you have come to the right place. Whether it is buying an off the rack rep or going the extra mile to make something special for you the information and resources are available. Enjoy the ride. All of the dealers here are tried and true. And it sounds like you have already gotten a sense of what can be done to make your watch all it can be. :)

Welcome to the party. My story Is not that much different then yours. The watch I always wanted was the Omega Seamaster PO. I was going to purchase this one watch and be on my way. I now have six Reps and looking for my seventh :D I found that the more reading and research you do the better off you will be. Good luck and happy hunting :) Mike

Welcome Doc! You found the right place and the right people.......who probably have the same story as you! At least you didn't get scammed first before you found RWG!

If you're a Rolex fan, you would enjoy the Rolex area, but believe you me, your watch horizon will expand soon and I hope your wallet is well padded and ......deep pockets are required here, too....LOL! Be ready to pawn your wife and set a high Dowry for your daughters if you have them, you gonna need it soon!

Kidding aside, enjoy the ride! I'm in your nick of the woods, so PM me if you need more in-depth info and stuff! Maybe you could buy me a lunch at La Cocina! :D

Hike

Thanks for the warm welcome! I live in the Nothwest suburbs, and the Rolex here is quite common; that's part of the reason I chose to go with the vintage look( that and my natural inclination to appreciate older things- cameras, cars, radios etc). As I've posted in another discussion, I jumped in and ordered my first rep from Joshua- a Bond Rolex, and I've already ordered a Corvus "real Bond" strap. Can't wait, and communication from Joshua has been encouraging.

Speaking of old cars, are any Chicago area members going to the Oakbrook car show tomorrow. It's a Father's Day concession from my wife who is bored silly by car shows. I tend to gravitate towards 1930s+ domestics, and 50s-60's in particular. The show in Oakbrook has some beautifully restored autos- an indication what money can buy. A curious phenomenon that I've noticed at a lot of cruise nights is the stand-offish(socially inept) behavior of a lot of car people. It's unusual, because most people really into any hobby tend to be very enthusiastic and friendly(like the people here), especially when you show an interest in and respect for their accomplishments and toys.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day to all!