When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Po At Ikea

statikman

I was in Ikea today and I noticed the "co-worker's" watch as I was asking him a question. Genuine 45mm orange PO on black rubber. The conversation quickly moved from the table I wanted to ask about to watches. You could see his shock that I, a biker-looking guy with tattoos and a beard, new what he was wearing. I of course was equally surprised to see a $12 an hour young guy wearing it. I try his on at his urging (he barely glanced at my Orange Monster) and we talk about the new chronos, big watches in general and pricing for watches in Hong Kong as opposed to Vancouver.

After 3 or 4 minutes, a very [censored] off guy next to me goes, "Can you help me with some FURNITURE please!" I guess I can't blame him, Sundays in Ikea are crazy and it's hard enough to get help, let alone when the sales people are talking watches with customers.

Dorm room furniture for the hip hop generation.

Personally, except for that little food department by the checkout where you can get those addictive little cardamom biscuits for a buck a bag, I think IKEA is the world's biggest marketing scam (OK-looking scan-modernist furniture at Wall-Mart furniture quality and twice the price) but at least your IKEA has a "coworker" with great taste in watches--at mine they just scowl at you as they give punch-in 7/8 the pieces you need for your kid's shelf.

If you like that style of furniture--check around the nearest big city for a conignment shop. Ms. A's furniture tastes are IKEA-like, but the guy at the store she shops at gets slightly used versions of the furniture that IKEA copies at about the same price IKEA sells their s***. Sure, you're not going to get it today, and you won't have the honor of putting it together yourself...

I agree that their furniture is cheaply made and I would never buy a sofa etc but to write their furnishings off is to admit you don't have an open mind.

I often buy things and use them in different applications than they were intended. I have saved thousands of dollars on retail shelving and fixtures, which allows me to have dynamic stores that I can afford to change up every couple of years. In one of my stores we bought the thick aluminum poled shelving systems and replaced the shelves that came with it with custom cut 1 inch glass. Instantly took a $500 of shelving and made it look like $5000.

I have designed and built and renoed 5 hair salons and 3 homes in the last 8 years. I always mix a little Ikea in there. Generally, if I envision exactly what I need for a project, I will find something 90% perfect at Ikea for a fantastic price. If you saw my salons, you would be shocked at how inexpensive they were to build.

I have to side with statik, I think 99% of ikea is s*** and would never buy it... but I have one thing from there. It is a computer table / work bench that is very sturdy and I don't have to worry about scratching it since it was so cheap (it has lasted 3 years thus far and still is in great shape and has taken a beating). I think it is probably the way to go for that sort of stuff.

I was there today and picked me up a new lamp for $24.00. The Atlanta Ikea has the only restaurant in the entire chain and the food ain't half bad. A new lamp and a full stomach what more could a man ask for.

As a final note, I sailed right through the self check-out line with ease.

102695-25872.jpg

MG