When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you Pam cats think of this, for a Pre-V case?

Guest avitt

Guest avitt

With an FGD dial in hand, I've had the hankering to build up a nice 202A. (Of course, I'll DLC coat the case myself...Yeah, yeah, I know...DLC isn't correct for a pre-V piece - But it just looks so darn good ;) )

So I've been on the quest for the proper parts, and like many of you, I've come to realize that the long pole in the tent is the case itself. It's just very difficult to source one with the proper short, thick lug shape, as shown below:

201a.jpg

The options come down to finding an old Helenarou (nearly impossible to find), or going with a DSN. The problem with the DSN case (to me anyway) is the noticeably large lug holes. They are too large for OEM style pre-V screw bars:

dscf6694.jpg

After looking around everywhere for an alternative, it suddenly struck me: What if I used the case from my old River 118? It definitely has distinctive lugs, which to these untrained eyes look pretty good:

img4160wy4.jpg

...I hadn't considered it before, because it's made of Titanium. But after having DLC coated a Ti piece a few weeks ago, I learned that there is no difference in the appearance of coated steel and Ti parts. The only difference is the weight...And after I'm done adding a steel bezel, case back, crown and crown guard, I don't think that the difference will be all that noticeable (and who really cares, anyway?). The only real problem that I foresee is drilling out the lugs for the screw-bar screws...and I'm pretty sure I can pull that off.

I could always pick up another Ti case from Jackson, and rebuild the 118 with the Ti parts...

So what think ye? Is this a good one, or should I keep looking? Thanks :D

Yes please This has me incredibly intrigued!! I just picked up a FGD new 201a dial and it's burning a whole in my pocket already. I intend for this to be a longer term project but I know I want a DLC case for sure!!! Same boat as you though, now I have to find the right case. Davidson, other , sigh....

Guest avitt

Thanks for the feedback.

I've ordered a set of pre-V tubes and screws from that eBay seller in Australia. I'll see how they fit on the case, and go from there...

Guest avitt
Avitt you will find that one side of the case will need to be drilled out to fit these but no big deal really.

Yup, I understand that. The nice thing about these twin-screw bars is that you can try them on for fit on the larger holes, before committing to enlarge the smaller holes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest avitt

OK...Here's an update:

I received my OEM style, 1.6mm, 3-piece Pre-V screw bars, and tried them on for size:

img5764.jpg

img5766o.jpg

...A little loose, but completely acceptable.

So far, so good...

Next step - Secure some additional parts: I want a LH CG, and a case back, and a steel bezel (as many steel parts as possible, to add to the weight of the watch).

Only after I have all of the other parts lined up will I drill out the opposite lugs.