When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CG Pin Mod - The Noob Way

mir36

This is my first post. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information presented in this forum. After a few weeks of soaking up all the knowledge, I eventually ordered and received my first PAM rep. Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the pics.

Receiving this package is almost a rite of passage in this forum...

post-22916-1245600161_thumb.jpg

DSN 177H. As you can see (maybe barely) the cgpin needed some work. Didn't bother me at first, but after reading the mod posts and feeling MacGyverish, I tried my hand at the CG pin mod. Remove CG, check. Remove CG pin.... no luck. Anyways on to plan B... BTW I took the pics midway after I realized I my be on to something...

post-22916-1245600189_thumb.jpg

Since I couldn't take out the pin, I would have to file it down while it was attached to the CG. I got some tape, pricked hole through it with a pin and wrapped th CG in tape, overlaying the hole over the pin...

post-22916-1245600261_thumb.jpg

I then took a metal file (readily at hand from the days I used to build/paint lead soldiers) and proceeded to file the pin down CAREFULLY. You have to do it by feel and eventually you will feel you are filing against the tape.

post-22916-1245600301_thumb.jpg

You'll have to redo this a few times and re-wrap the CG in tape until you get a satisfactory result. Alternatively you can even do this without unscrewing the CG from the case as long as you take care to mask the other areas...

post-22916-1245600752_thumb.jpg

The end result...

post-22916-1245600794_thumb.jpg

Thanks.... FGD, pls put me on the waiting list for your dials. :)

Edited by mir36

Tape! What a brilliant idea. I scratched up two CGs last week doing this mod. Boy do I feel stupid.

Thanks for the tip, it will definitely help me in the future. You just cost Jackson some business, for all the CGs I would have had to order to replace the ones I screw up.

Wow, great post for the 1st one.

It already looks a lot better, but still not perfect. The pin should be a bit more flush with the CG itself. only way to get that done is to get the pin out.