When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ingenieur Pronunciation?

HauteHippie

Well the IWC pic forum has been absolutely torturous these last couple days, and I couldn't take it anymore so I ordered the new Ingenieur. So I figure I now need to know how to properly pronounce "Ingenieur". Who can anyone provide a pronunciation key for a native English speaker?

My first guess is "IN - GEN - EE - OOER" but what do I know?

Thanks!

With that spelling, it looks French to me, so the gen part would be more like a "zse" sound (as in Zsa Zsa Gabor) ?

Kind of like,

In - Zse - Noo - Or

But Ingenieur is a french word... <_<

Think about it, they're made in Switzerland, a country with more than one language. :D

It's pronounced in French. An Jen Year. If you read those three words and don't try to be clever about it, you'll pronounce it as well as an English speaker can.

I think IWC is German. Why would a German company use a French pronunciation for a watch which has an AMG version (after the German automobile)? I'm thinking the French pronunciation isn't what's intended. And besides I have a little aversion to most or all things French, so I'll go with the German version anyhow. ;)

Now I wonder if the "EU" in ingenieur is pronounced like the "EU" in Deutsch? In which case this becomes even harder (for me) to figure out. :D

I think IWC is German. Why would a German company use a French pronunciation for a watch which has an AMG version (after the German automobile)? I'm thinking the French pronunciation isn't what's intended. And besides I have a little aversion to most or all things French, so I'll go with the German version anyhow. ;)

Now I wonder if the "EU" in ingenieur is pronounced like the "EU" in Deutsch? In which case this becomes even harder (for me) to figure out. :D

Hrmm, Schaffhausen *IS* in Switzerland... It sounds soooo German to me. Hrmmm.

Think to "Heuer" or "Heute".

But now i don't know :g:

IWC -> german prononciation

Ingenieur -> French word but German prononciation ?

Doesn't sound logic to me...

Check it out :

http://www.chronometrie.com/watchsounds/watchsoundspage.htm

Think to "Heuer" or "Heute".

But now i don't know :g:

IWC -> german prononciation

Ingenieur -> French word but German prononciation ?

Doesn't sound logic to me...

Check it out :

http://www.chronometrie.com/watchsounds/watchsoundspage.htm

Ingenieur is apparently also a Danish word. I don't know if the actual etymology is French or not.

Ingenieur is apparently also a Danish word. I don't know if the actual etymology is French or not.

Ok, I'll try this again. :D

You appear to have been mistaken: I wasn't suggesting a possible way of pronouncing the word. I was telling you how to pronounce Ingenieur. :Jumpy:

If you want to pronounce it any way you like, feel free. I'll be over here pronouncing it correctly.

You wouldn't be American perchance?

Would you like some freedom fries?

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :bleh:

Ok, I'll try this again. :D

You appear to have been mistaken: I wasn't suggesting a possible way of pronouncing the word. I was telling you how to pronounce Ingenieur. :Jumpy:

From what I've found so far, you seem to be assuming the French pronunciation is universal. Yet I can't find anything to suggest ingenieur is a native French word nor that the French pronunciation would be used anywhere outside France (or French speaking areas). Ingenieur is also a German word, and having just translated the German wikipedia page I found this information about the word's origin :

From latin gignere “bring” and/or ingenium “invention out, sense of sharp, munition”, then to the Italian ingegnere “master of building of wars”. Later finally generally transfer to terms like “masters of building of ships” and to “technicians”.

Given what we do know for sure about IWC's locale, it would seem most intuitive that the intended pronunciation would be Swiss-German, wouldn't it?

References (Google English translations of GERMAN wikipedia pages):

Link 1

Link 2