When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Repaired GMT IIc came back DOA a 2nd time

rek001

Hi people, I recently bought a GMT IIc with asian ETA 2836 from a trusted dealer.

When I got it, no amount of palm swirling, hand winding, gentle palm slapping would get the watch to start ticking.

I contacted the dealer and sent the watch back.

I just received it again, after swirling, hand winding 40 turns, it will not start ticking, just like when I first got it.

Contacted dealer again, he said it was tested for 48 hours before shipping, I need to check it again which I will do when I get home tonight.

But really, I don't think it will start to tick.

I thought this movement was pretty stable?

Is there some special winding technique I should try?

Should I be adamant about returnig this watch for a refund?

Please help!

Thanks much.

Manually wind the watch 40 turns (yes, again) & then pull out the stem to the time-setting position & run the hands through a complete 24-hour cycle. Press the stem back all the way in (make sure it is all the way in, otherwise that may be the reason it will not start). If it still fails to run, I would then request a replacement (not repair). I would also request that the replacement watch be shipped out immediately (without having to wait for the 2nd defective watch to be returned). If the seller refuses, then request a refund & take your business to another seller.

Hi freddy, I followed your instructions precisely and it didn't work, and screwed the crown back down carefully and completely.

I also posted on RG, rex750, a watchsmith and member there said he's been having problems with some recent asian clone GMTs, getting them to run.

I don't mind saying the dealer is Joshua, he has been reasonable and appropriate about this so far.

I'll contact him tomorrow to tell him I tried to get the watch going, wish me a good ending to this.

Thanks!

Update: I e-mailed Joshua this morning and asked for a sendback and total refund. I've lost faith in this movement, shame really.

He agreed, no argument or foot dragging.

Josh is a great dealer.

Now, what to get instead?

Sorry to hear you have another dead watch. Josh may have had a bad run of watches (remember, the movements in rep watches are used &/or unserviced), so you might try for the same watch from another collector. Another option (since it is always a good idea to have any rep you plan to keep serviced by a pro watchmaker as soon as you receive it) would be to have the watch properly serviced by a professional (rep-friendly) watchmaker. Post a request for help in the repair section or check your local phone book for watchmakers (I would specifically ask whether they work on reps before making the trip).

Thanks very much for all of your good advice in this situation, freddy.

Right now I'm a bit leery of the modded for GMT movement, so I don't know if I'll try to get another one.

As for rep friendly watchsmith, I thought I found one about 1 hour's drive from my home but he only feels comfortable doing certain things, more complex movement issues he doesn't want to undertake because of the questionable asian movement.

As for rep friendly watchsmith, I thought I found one about 1 hour's drive from my home but he only feels comfortable doing certain things, more complex movement issues he doesn't want to undertake because of the questionable asian movement.

A lot of watchmakers aren't too keen on the asian 21j movement. Mine is also a little skittish about working on the eta clones. And if you really like a watch, it might be best to try to get it with the 'swiss' eta (if that's possible). The last 21j asian that I got arrived DOA and my watchmaker swapped out the movement- that wasn't too bad. The asians are great when they work, but they're not really viable for the long run (3-5 years).

Hopefully you'll be able to find a rep friendly watchmaker closer to home.