When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I like it ...

mellus

Looks like a transitional model?

To my knowledge there were only 2 "transitional" dive models; the Sub 16800 and the SD 16660, which appeared variously with sapphire crystals and matte dials with no white gold on the markers, with a few at the end of the run coming appearing with white gold on the markers and glossy dials. In 1989 the no date Sub jumped directly from 5513 to the 14060 model number. I have seen a few 5513s with plastic crystals and white gold on the markers, so these could be considered a transitional version of sorts, but unlike the Sub and SD transitionals, these did not get their own separate model number. Since the rep in the OP's post appears to be sapphire, it would be a rep of the 14060 or possibly the 14060M.

Great watch. Espeically the aged tritium.

Not a transitional and definately not a rep. :)

There was no transitional no-date sub. Went straight from 5513 to the 14060.

I read that the last 2 years of production on the 5513 used the same gloss dial with white gold surrounds. Some say that it started mid year the previous year when Rolex ran out of matte dial stock which would be the 1985-1986 timeframe. This makes sense to me since my 1982 (which started with a matte dial) got a gloss dial at it's first service in 1987 at the RSC NY.