When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Transformation from 201a to 201A!

TswissT

This all started out from a basic DSN 5218-201a:

IMG_5948.jpg

The indices looked a little too orange for my liking, so off to Rex for a movement swap from Ofrei. (Swiss 6497). I also had him install a T48 from the wonderful Tourby. He also removed any and all AR coating.

After waiting for a while and several emails from Rex regarding the massive amount of lume required for this dial. (Which unlike gen, GLOWS LIKE A NIGHT LIGHT) It finally arrived looking like this:

Picture005.jpg

Now it was getting a little clearer. It seems that this FishGoDeep (FGD) fellow you guys have makes some pretty d@mn nice dials. I lucked out and got a pretty nice 009 from a member on RG, and realized this dude is bad A$$!!

IMG_6836.jpg

Wow. I need an FGD 201a dial like NOW!!!

About a week later, I get a PM from a member claiming he would like to sell his FGD 2nd Gen 201a dial. I jumped on the chance, BUT...

My watch was currently with the wonderous Flava Flav. He was going to modify my currentl dial and install one of the incredibly accurate Little Hero (LH) CG's to the watch. The member shipped the dial direcly to him. He noticed that the dial's finish was a bit off. A few VERY MINOR marks and lacked that matte finish. After a little flav lovin. This is what I received in the mail today...

Now I just need to get that EL 201a caseback from Miles... :) :)

Excuse the quick pics. Too excited and busy to start taking the right pics.

So here is my DSN201a with T48, LH CG, FGD Dial, with work from some of the best modders around; Rex and Flav.

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_7163.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

V1.

IMG_5951.jpg

V2.

IMG_6833.jpg

V3.

IMG_7165.jpg

Thanks guys. Now if only my 112 would ever return...

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

What do you mean inaccurate? Not complaining by any stretch of the imagination, just VERY curious. It is always these little things that will nag me.

I love the chase!!! I love trying to get a watch more accurate to gen, than getting a gen itself. (That and the price tag) :)

Is the CG pin polished on 201a? I've looked through a bunch of pictures but I can't seem to confirm this with 100% certainty. It looks to be polished but I guess with normal wear it goes goes back to sorta brushed or more like scratched :)

Source #1

Source #2

Tonryart,

I think one of RolexFinder's MX straps with a logo buckle would round out this package handsomely.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

What do you mean inaccurate? Not complaining by any stretch of the imagination, just VERY curious. It is always these little things that will nag me.

I love the chase!!! I love trying to get a watch more accurate to gen, than getting a gen itself. (That and the price tag) :)

By inaccurate I meant that the Supelume Rex applied - not applied in the correct style and given that the Gen is a Tritium Dial, it should not glow like straight SL

Your V3 with the FGD dial is much closer to the Gen dial

T

What's up with the FGD dial you got from me?? I have seller's remorse

You are AWESOME!!!

This is, in fact your old dial... :)

Flav said it could use a new finish, and voila...

From what I have learned, the cg pin was indeed polished.

Also, I have a Dirk Shark from the Risti with the 5218 engraved buckle. I just haven't really decided which strap yet.

Jesus T

Flav works fast!!!!

Just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna have Rex build one for me when the next batch of FGD dials come thru. He's fine tuning my FGD 202a right now hope to have it by the middle of next week

Just wait for the 112. (Flav, Rex, LH, VCG, & DSN)

My Ted Su BIG Hornback is lonely. :)

And YES; FLAV is by far the fastest I have ever dealt with. I probably shouldn't be telling people this. He may get flooded with requests.

V3 is the best of all, impossible to beat a FGD dial, although I find the as delivered lume to be a bit too light in colour compared to the gen.

When did Flav start working on reps again? I though he refused to do any rep work after what took place here two years ago.

Congrats and enjoy and wear it well.

T

How did you have the LH lever pin tightened with heat shrink tubing or glue? Or is it nice an tight like a V out of the box?

1. I was working with him on SEVERAL non-rep things and asked for a favor. I guess I used up my favor bank on him. (I have NO IDEA what happened to make him stop working on reps.

2. The LH pin comes floppy. According to a few threads, you should not remove the CG pin. I was even told my master modder that the sucker was in there so tight, he would damage the pin if he applied any more pressure. With that said, the lever is still a tad floppy. It does; however, snap right into place and won't come lose. This is fine with me.

My VCG, has ZERO floppiness, but required a little work to get the right finish and fit.

I thought as much. I miss my modded V CG. The V pin is set with a tiny heat shrink-wire insulator tube as per the gen.

Flav will lume and refinish dials if you send him the dial only. he also does beautiful work for Ygg. Unless of course you have a favor bank ;);)

Understood on the Flav situation...

On the CG pin, I have had a few that were really tight as well, most of the V ones fit into this category. The solution was to drive the old pin out with a staking tool and manufacturer a new pin to replace the old one, and tighten up the lever at the same time. Most of the CG's have too small a pin head and the pin isn't flat topped, making a new pin on the lathe allowed correction of these two issues and tightening of the lever.

Ditto on dluddy's comments re V2 dial, although it probably glows incredibly bright, that type of lume is incorrect for this dial, it should be a nice vintage patina tritium.

Where would be without members like FGD.

Zig

Interesting on the lever pins. Have you ever used heat shrink or wire insulator tubing around the pin or does the new larger pin solve the open floppiness problem? I have done a couple CG's for a friend and used gorillia glue. I let the glue in the lever hole dry to a slight tackiness and then push the lever through as the gorilla glue dries to a hard epoxy. The results leave the lever as tight as a V (open or closed) and seems to be more perminant than the hot glue method.

And Amen on FGD!!!, not only is he a true gentlemen but his gorgeous dials are simply stupifying!!!