When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Attempt at vintagizing...

TeeJay

Given my potential plans for the project sub, I want to start making it "look it's age" a bit... Ignore the dial, the dial will ultimately be going, my focus is on the case/insert. I don't want to pop the pearl out, as I consider it a functional part of the watch. I haven't bleached the insert, but could do so in the future. Thus far, I have used a small screwdriver to scuff up the insert, and taken the blade of a pair of scissors to the case to put some gouges in. I then went over the sides with a 4 way nail polishing board to 'blend them in' a bit, so they don't all look like they've been freshly done, or make the watch look too 'over-abused'. I guess my goal is for the appearance of a 30 year old watch which has been banged up a bit during wear, but generally been well treated, not totally destroyed/beaten up...

What do folks think? More abuse? Suggestions will be gratefully received :)

DSCN1495.jpg

DSCN1496.jpg

I think what you have done looks very good. You might try Nanuq's trick of putting the watch case (remove the movement 1st) into a can full of coins & give it a good 5-minute shake. The coins should do a good job of aging the case & bracelet. Beyond that, I think the watch has too many irreconcilable issues to make it worth putting much more effort into.

Thanks for the feedback, guys :)

Freddy, I understand what you mean completely :) I'm not really going for any particular model of watch, I just want to build something myself, but not have it look 'box fresh' :)

ZM, I'll try getting some natural light photos tomorrow :) It's funny, in the first photo, the flash really highlights the scratches in the insert, which, with the naked eye, are much less noticeable, yet in the second, almost totally whites them out :lol:

The crown-side of the case also has some gouges applied, but I've worked on the idea of the watch being worn on the right wrist, so figured that there would be more impact damage to left side of the case, compared to the right side :)

Looks excellent Tee

Thanks :) I've got quite a bit of work planned for it which should hopefully make it a bit more socially acceptable than it is with its 'blacked out' GMT II dial :D That said, the quality of the lume on the rep dial is pretty good :) Just wearing it near a window, or going outside for a few minutes, and it glows brightly going back indoors... Holding it to a lamp for about two seconds, and it glows like a torch :) I know it's never going to be a 'perfect rep' in terms of replicating a specific model, but as I was saying to Freddy, I just want to build something myself, that isn't going to look 'box fresh' when I wear it. Having hit 30 and got married, I feel comfortable to wear a Rolex, but even if I had the funds to get a gen, I think I'd feel more comfortable with something 'inherited', rather than a brand new one :D

Not bad at all mate. The scratches on the insert are a bit too long IMO. Radial scratches around the insert rarely happen IRL scratches across the insert are more common. Apart from that, great job.

Col.

Thanks, amigo :) I know what you mean :) My method was using the screwdriver I use to swap PAM straps round, rested one edge against the side of the crystal, then traced the other side across the insert, but as you say, they're a little long (although, as above, not as visible with the naked eye). I then put a few 'strikes' across the insert (like at the 7 position) to represent impact damage :) If I was to do another insert, then I'd not make the radial scratches as long, I just figured that might be the safest way for a novice to put some scuffs in, without going OTT and ruining the insert :D

I think what you have done looks very good. You might try Nanuq's trick of putting the watch case (remove the movement 1st) into a can full of coins & give it a good 5-minute shake. The coins should do a good job of aging the case & bracelet. Beyond that, I think the watch has too many irreconcilable issues to make it worth putting much more effort into.

I just had a thought, do you think that fitting a bezel like you used on your GMT project might help improve the vintage appearance of the watch?