When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Introduction And Question...

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone - I've been digging through the archives of this site for a while and learning as much as I can about this growing addiction of mine...

I started off focusing primarily on Omegas, but I must confess that the Panerai watches have really been growing on me. Went to an AD over the weekend and tried on the Pam 050 (the 40mm are as big as I can go with my <7" wrist) - the watch is simply amazing...

Question - the other watch I really like is the Omega Seamaster GMT (Bond Style), but have found that the dealers on these pages (which seem great) only have it with the brass movement - obviously not true to the original and readily obvious with the display back. What surprises me is that the dealers carry the new Bond version (swirl pattern on the face) with nickel-looking movement. Why wouldn't they put this movement in the display back GMT???

Thanks again for everyone's help, and I hope to commit to my first rep purchase in the near future - like many on this board, I nearly fell for the typical google-search result dealers - from what I've seen, that would have been a tremendous mistake.

Unfortunately, I think this could end up being a very expensive new hobby...

You did some research before your first post. That's rare. Good start!

About the Omega GMT: I have wondered exactly the same thing. It would be much nicer with the silver ETA movement. Dealers don't make any changes to these watches, they come straight from the factory like that. Sometimes there's no logic with the reps. Nobody has figured out yet why they always put the dreaded misaligned bezel to the Seamaster replicas, either. They just do, and we have to live with that (and modify the watches to our liking).

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone - I've been digging through the archives of this site for a while and learning as much as I can about this growing addiction of mine...

Question - the other watch I really like is the Omega Seamaster GMT (Bond Style), but have found that the dealers on these pages (which seem great) only have it with the brass movement - obviously not true to the original and readily obvious with the display back. What surprises me is that the dealers carry the new Bond version (swirl pattern on the face) with nickel-looking movement. Why wouldn't they put this movement in the display back GMT???

I 100% concur. That's why I just ordered the SMP GMT with SS back, closed. Its not the genuine type, but at least you don't see the brass movement which is 100% false.