When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick Look at the New IWC Aquatimer 2009

Daytona4me

I had requested that Hont get me an Aquatimer as soon as they came out. I was very happy when I received the email that they were close to being done and again when he emailed me with a tracking number for my new Aquatimer.

I am a sucker for the Blue and Orange version but will likely buy a Galapagos version as well.

This watch is a far cry away from the 2006 and 2007 versions. It is apples and oranges when compared to them as they have a completely different construction in the case, bezel, sapphire, strap and lugs. It's all different.

09iwcaquatimer022.jpg

The stainless steel bracelet is not available yet and imo, it is desperately needed as the strap leaves a lot to be desired (but that is likely just my opinion).

The construction of the rubber strap where it meets the case and how it's held in there is scary at best, I can see it easily being released from the case and the watch flopping to the ground.

A couple obvious problems are

1. Wrong colored subdials at 12 & 6

2. The "0" font is wrong on the bezel

3. The size of the numbers around the bezel are larger than on the genuine

4. The tail on the chrono second hand (big one) is the wrong shape and size.

5. Not positive but I think the "IWC" above the day and date is not the correct width or thickness.

09iwcaquatimer018.jpg

09iwcaquatimer008.jpg

09iwcaquatimer009.jpg

09iwcaquatimer010.jpg

09iwcaquatimer011.jpg

The bezel construction is a lot better than a similar Blancpain bezel which was a very soft acrylic, this bezel is extremely hardened and although I am not sure on what it's composition is, I have to think it is a very hard acrylic or similar synthetic compound.

These are some quick unedited pictures between playing with the kids and pizza. Sorry for the white balance, maybe I'll fix it later.

09iwcaquatimer019.jpg

09iwcaquatimer020.jpg

09iwcaquatimer021.jpg

09iwcaquatimer023.jpg

09iwcaquatimer018.jpg

09iwcaquatimer008.jpg

09iwcaquatimer013.jpg

09iwcaquatimer014.jpg

09iwcaquatimer024.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Is that an operational regulator on the movement? Are the new A7750s coming with operational regulators AND the ETA style rotor bearing unit (this one doesn't have this, but the Tags and some others seem to...). This is a nice watch. I wish they would get the subdials fixed. It's much "sportier" in a utility way than the older style ATs...like a Seiko Monster.

The movement looks like a 21.6K older version of the A7750, I wonder why they installed that model and not the 28.8K version?

Not sure what to make of the overall watch, I do like the orange but the strap not only looks unsafe, it looks very uncomfortable on the wrist.

Thanks for the detailed pictures.

I like the design, it looks more bold, modern, updated without trying too hard.

Love the liquid look of the bezel.

What exactly is the problem with how the rubber strap attaches to the case? It looks flimsy but can't tell from pics exactly why.

Thanks for your review.

I'm not really a fan of this version. It looks like any bog-standard chrono with echoes of the older Aquatimer. The bezel kinda looks like it needs to be pressed to turn like those 2000m ones (look at Ubi's review for pics, but the rep doesn't do that either).

The recent Aquatimers with the inner bezel had a character and beauty of their own... I hope they continue that line alongside these ones.

@The Zigmeister,

It sure does tick like a 21,600bph

It is advertised on certain dealers websites as 28,800

@Toad, The regulator is fake, I could pop it off with a little force, it does not adjust anything (at least not on mine)

The bracelet is a pressure fitting with two little lips on a clasp which lock into place on the inside of the case, however, one side does not lock at all and simply slides right off. Very little room to stay locked into place even if it did perform correctly. I see nothing but trouble.

My advice, stay away from these watches, they were made very cheap and no where near the quality we are used to in super replicas.

edit: Forgot to mention that the caseback is correct, it says "Aquatimer"

@The Zigmeister,

@Toad, The regulator is fake, I could pop it off with a little force, it does not adjust anything (at least not on mine)

The bracelet is a pressure fitting with two little lips on a clasp which lock into place on the inside of the case, however, one side does not lock at all and simply slides right off. Very little room to stay locked into place even if it did perform correctly. I see nothing but trouble.

My advice, stay away from these watches, they were made very cheap and no where near the quality we are used to in super replicas.

thanks for posting this.... looks like i'll sit and wait for a better version. i'm also thinking of springing for a gen galapagos, especially if they can't super rep these new Aquatimers.

@The Zigmeister,

That's odd about the movement. If The Zigmeister says it looks like the 21.6k, and you say it ticks like it too...well...there you go.

I didn't know they put on fake regulators on the movements out of the factory...learn something new everyday.

That's too bad about the manufacturing quality. I might well get the El Cheapo Quartz model then...

I cant say for 100% certain it's one or the other so I cannot confirm, I held up one of my reps that is 28,800 and one that is 21,600 and it sweeps just like the 21,600

Takashi also made the same comment, he felt it was 21,600 as well.

I'm just really disappointed about the quality of the watch, just really subpar imo.

@Jos,

I saw you looking at this thread and tried to post before you did, I did not want anyone to think that I was making an accusation because I am not.

Just giving my impression based on others that I have (not a scientific method).

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I had not even asked my friends in GZ nor Hont whom I asked to buy it for me which movement was in it so I was in the dark and could only go on personal observation.

The movement is not the same as I am used to seeing in most other 7750 models, the finish has a lot to be desired and must agree that it looks like the old 21,600. Also,, something you may want to check yourself is the regulator, I'm positive it is a false / faux regulator. I've adjusted it and almost completely removed it as it was not making any adjustments to the movement. Maybe you can confirm.

• 1 month later...