When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic Straps... Are they cooler than rubber to wear?

TeeJay

By 'cooler', I mean in terms of temperature/wrist comfort, not fashion sense :D I only wonder, as the silicon strap I bought for my project sub, while a really nice strap, actually gets pretty warm and uncomfortable at temperatures of +23C, and it was more comfortable to wear a NATO strap instead. I've never handled a tropic strap at all, but from pictures I've seen, they look to be more like plastic than 'rubber'. Are they any cooler than silicon?

Pocket watch. Solves the problem nicely. I have a couple of cheap ones (quartz) and in the summer I wear them with my 5 pocket jeans. (The little pocket used to be a "watch pocket" but lately I've seen them being called "coin pockets".

not waring a watch is not an option.. defies the purpose of this hobby :-)

I go for steel. Works always

not waring a watch is not an option.. defies the purpose of this hobby :-)

A "pocket watch" is a "watch"; that's why they call it a "pocket watch". There are some very elegant (and expensive) pocket watches available. I've not seen too many replica pocket watches however.

I think Ti is even better as it does not get as warm as SS.

Issue with a bracelet is actually in hot conditions the wrist gets bigger and a bracelet is not that flexible ;-)

The gen breitling strap on my SFSO is actually quitte comfortable!

IMG_0762.jpg

By 'cooler', I mean in terms of temperature/wrist comfort, not fashion sense :D I only wonder, as the silicon strap I bought for my project sub, while a really nice strap, actually gets pretty warm and uncomfortable at temperatures of +23C, and it was more comfortable to wear a NATO strap instead. I've never handled a tropic strap at all, but from pictures I've seen, they look to be more like plastic than 'rubber'. Are they any cooler than silicon?

just middle o' July here yet, but the NOS Tropic on my FF is aerated/perforated, and just 20mm to boot, quite comfy.

A "pocket watch" is a "watch"; that's why they call it a "pocket watch". There are some very elegant (and expensive) pocket watches available. I've not seen too many replica pocket watches however.

Indeed, a pocket watch is a watch, and pre-dates the wrist watch. However, a pocket watch would be a redundancy for me. My phone has the time on it, and I could always use that as a 'pocket carried time-piece'. That said, I prefer to wear a wrist watch, and actually don't really like putting things in my pockets at all... Thanks for your input though :)

just middle o' July here yet, but the NOS Tropic on my FF is aerated/perforated, and just 20mm to boot, quite comfy.

Awesome, how would you describe the texture? Are they quite soft and flexible, or harder and more 'plasticky'? I have to admit, the pics I have seen make them look, well, not uncomfortable, but not as soft as silicone straps :D Would you say that the tropic strap is cooler than silicon?

Indeed, a pocket watch is a watch, and pre-dates the wrist watch. However, a pocket watch would be a redundancy for me. My phone has the time on it, and I could always use that as a 'pocket carried time-piece'. That said, I prefer to wear a wrist watch, and actually don't really like putting things in my pockets at all... Thanks for your input though :)

Awesome, how would you describe the texture? Are they quite soft and flexible, or harder and more 'plasticky'? I have to admit, the pics I have seen make them look, well, not uncomfortable, but not as soft as silicone straps :D Would you say that the tropic strap is cooler than silicon?

flexible as paper and not n the least bit plasticky. The holes let the skin breathe. Cooler than silicon. Wearing it now. You can't go wrong with it. You'll spend less on the silicon though...

Same here. My newer Tropic from Squinky is very comfortable and doesn't smell like rubber. I think it is silicon.

There is a reason the Tropic style straps were used on Vintage divers ;)

flexible as paper and not n the least bit plasticky. The holes let the skin breathe. Cooler than silicon. Wearing it now. You can't go wrong with it. You'll spend less on the silicon though...

That's awesome to hear, I had a feeling the holes would help with ventilation (as well as drainage) I might have to try and invest in one when funds allow :) Thanks for the input :good::drinks:

I don't think any one is hotter or cooler than the other, the key is the style of tropic straps having the perforations and/or cutouts to let your wrist breathe.

Most new tropic style straps sold might be say rubber but are actually silicone. Bear in mind TJ that original (NOS) rubber tropic straps such as ones sold by Squinky on ebay smell like old tires and its seriously pungent!!! I don't wear mine for that reason and dumped them and switched to silicone. Modena Watch sells a tropic style in silicone that looks very similar to original tropic straps but have been updated a little with less taper and are thicker. My FF lives on one of the newer tropics as well as a number of my subs during parts of the year and doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything.

I don't think any one is hotter or cooler than the other, the key is the style of tropic straps having the perforations and/or cutouts to let your wrist breathe.

Most new tropic style straps sold might be say rubber but are actually silicone. Bear in mind TJ that original (NOS) rubber tropic straps such as ones sold by Squinky on ebay smell like old tires and its seriously pungent!!! I don't wear mine for that reason and dumped them and switched to silicone. Modena Watch sells a tropic style in silicone that looks very similar to original tropic straps but have been updated a little with less taper and are thicker. My FF lives on one of the newer tropics as well as a number of my subs during parts of the year and doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything.

That's definitely interesting to know, thank you :) I'm not too concerned about the cost (within reason, of course :D ) as I'd rather save up for something better, which I will definitely get more use out of, than I would to buy a cheaper alternative which might not meet my needs (as in the case of my solid silicone dive strap :D )

With a tip from tmg, I purchased a tropic style strap from Modena Watch. It is very comfortable in the heat and a bargain at 13 bucks.

watches015.jpg

I certainly like the look and pricetag, I'll have to have a look at those, thanks :good: