When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch is no in use for more than a year

geestyleed

Hi guys,

in September I am going to live one year in the US and A ^_^ .

I dont want to take all my reps with me(perhaps 2). The rest will be closed in a safe. The safe wont be opened for the period.

My biggest fear is that the watches dont work anymore. My watches are Swiss ETA and A7750

Can something happen with the movement, when it is not in use?

I hope you can solve my problem :)

P.S.: I will live in South Carolina / Charleston / Summerville. Is anybody from this area?

With rep watches, it is impossible to say. Under normal circumstances (a gen watch that has been regularly serviced by a professional watchmaker), a year of idleness should not cause any problems. But much beyond that & the oils begin to dry out, which can cause problems. In either case, I would recommend having any important watches professionally serviced prior to your trip abroad. Then, upon your return, check your other (unserviced) watches to see if the crowns or hands are stiff when you try to rotate them. If so, have the watch serviced before something is damaged.

Bon voyage.

The watch on my wrist, my project sub, was inactive for at least a year, but keeps excellent time :) I don't think I can give any better advice than what Freddy has already said, other than to add not to be unduly concerned :)

Think about all the watches that sit with dealers for years, before being purchased.

Watches wear out with use, not disuse, unless your pieces were not properly lubricated from the factory, if they sit in a place that is cool, dark and dry, then you have nothing to worry about.

Think about all the watches that sit with dealers for years, before being purchased.

Watches wear out with use, not disuse, unless your pieces were not properly lubricated from the factory, if they sit in a place that is cool, dark and dry, then you have nothing to worry about.

Completely agree. Watch oil dissipates over a period of years, not from disuse. Unless you plan to not use them for 5 years, it's not a problem.